It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you measure back space
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm interested in how you measure back space as a few people I've spoken to don't do it the same way.

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

Post subject: Re: How do you measure back space
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CD wrote:
I'm interested in how you measure back space as a few people I've spoken to don't do it the same way.

How to Measure Wheel BackSpace

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is backspace. The above photo shows three wheels with 2",3", & 4" backspace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:55 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for that Troy, so that means that the stock steel KJ rim in Aust has a back space of 5.75" not 5.5". Not sure about an alloy rim.

CD

Lifted by CRDSTU
CDKJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:26 am 
LOST Addict

Not to confuse the issue, but, I was told it was from the backing plate to the inside lip of the rim where rubber meets the rim. The rim width is from inside the mounting lip to lip, A "7 IN" WIDE RIM, is measured from inside the lip to inside the lip. A "7in" wide rim (or any width) is not measured from the overall outside phyical width of the rim. So backspacing is the distance from the back of the mounting centre to the inside of the lip.
Just as it is with the mounting diametre, a 16in rim is measured at the mounting surface not the overall diametre inculing the lip.

So Yes, put as straight edge on the rim edge, measure from there to the back of the wheel centre, and minus off the thickness of the rim lip.

Just what I was told. :wink:

EDIT,,,, Chris. Having said that, I do believe the Standard KJ steelies are infact 5.75, the 16'' alloys are 5.5 and I remember Stu saying something about the 17'' limited alloys being 5.25...

So having said that, if there was a KJ model with a BS of 5.25 that came out of the factory that may also give you a wider standard track to work with for your little problem.

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Last edited by cmohr on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:00 am 
LOST Addict

cmohr wrote:
Not to confuse the issue, but, I was told it was from the backing plate to the inside lip of the rim where rubber meets the rim. The rim width is from inside the mounting lip to lip, A "7 IN" WIDE RIM, is measured from inside the lip to inside the lip. A "7in" wide rim (or any width) is not measured from the overall outside phyical width of the rim. So backspacing is the distance from the back of the mounting centre to the inside of the lip.
Just as it is with the mounting diametre, a 16in rim is measured at the mounting surface not the overall diametre inculing the lip.

So Yes, put as straight edge on the rim edge, measure from there to the back of the wheel centre, and minus off the thickness of the rim lip.

Just what I was told. :wink:

Now we have the two version that I was told, one as per Troy and 1 as per cmohr. My engineer said as Cmohr did, Wooders said as per Troy did.

Lifted by CRDSTU
CDKJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:59 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

But I think from reading they both say the same thing in a way, plus or minus a very small amount, basically the thickness of the metal of the wheel

Troy states that you need to lay something across the "inboard flange" and measure to the hub mounting area. Which is the correct way to do it

comhr is correct in a way in the thinking of it, and yes a wheel is measured for width inside to inside as he described but for the back spacing he has to measure on the outside of the lip not the insude

Troy wins on this one :lol: :lol: :lol: So I go with Troy and Wooders and a lot of years of experience selling tires and wheels :wink:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Its just what I was told by two separate wheel manufactureereerers' and an enginnerrrrerrr person thats all. :lol:

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"