It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interstate vs. Optima batteries
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm putting a new battery in the kayak hauler, and like to get every ones take on which is better Interstate or a Optima Battery :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Optima. I have heard that Interstate don't like being drawn down and it doesn't seem to bother the Optima much.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:56 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

depends on use , I have ran a ton of Interstates, used to sell them at my shop, never had any problems but this was 10 years ago,
agree with Terry though Optimas will take more drawing down. I have one now and it starts the KJ just fine so....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Since we're on th topic of Optimas, I was wondering what the better of the two would be for my application. Basically I run a stock KJ with no electrical mods other than 4 aftermarket lights (PIAA's up front and generic $7 Harbor Freight flood lights for reverse) and a permanently mounted Streamlight Ultra that sits in the charger 24/7. I do a lot of winter driving and cold starts in Upstate New York. No high-draw stereo components or anything else. So which is it, Red or Yellow? Oh, and what can I expect to pay for either? Thanks!

DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:57 pm 
LOST Addict

i put a red top in the kj for 2 reasons...
1 - being it has a 3 yr warranty vs a 1 year
2 - i bought from sams clubs where the red top was far cheaper than yellow ( red top was $139 and the yellow was close to 180 )

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Optima Yellow in Las Vegas is roughly 180-200 at Costco, at a regular retail shop they go for about 220ish.

Red tops I believe are about 140-160 but I could be wrong on that one.

When I lived in Wisconsin I never had any problems with my batteries so I cant say which is better in the cold.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:19 pm 
LOST Addict

My vote is for the Optima red top. I had one in my TJ that I just sold last weekend and it was still going strong after six years in the brutal Phoenix summers. The most I ever get on the Interstate which I run in my other cars was right at 3 years before the heat fried them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:42 am 
LOST Junkie

I glad I found this post. The past few day it has been cold here and may batt. would not start my kj and had to jump it. What do they meean when they sat cold cranking amps is 1000 better then 850?

30x9.5x15 General Grabbers AT2 on Craiger Soft 8's 15x7 4" BS
safari rack, super nerfs, Rear Hitch, Front ARB Bumper , JBA A-Arms

http://www.BennyMigsPhoto.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

basically it is the amount of push a battery has

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Optima = Interstate

Interstate = Optima

Same company makes both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for all your input I went with the Red Top....

rear hitch, Mopar front tow hooks, Red Top, CA Intake
Rock Crawler 16" rims 265x70x16 Cooper Discoverer ST
L.O.S.T.# GM091222

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:45 am 
LOST Newbie

not to sound like a know-it-all but optima is owned by interstate....

02' Limited
3.7 Veesick..quart oil filter.
Coleman Safari Basket..axe...shovel
a whole lotta Hella FF's with R.C.C. quick aiming system.
15" American Racing Outlaw 1's
235/75/15 ..gps,mp3,dvd...etc.

Post subject: beware of what you assume....
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To clarify and for awareness...

Just because "same company makes both" or one company is "owned by" the other does not necessarily, although it could, mean the products themselves are the same. In my former work life, I worked exclusively in the manufacturing sector providing custom-engineered systems to help companies manufacture their products. Most product manufacturing facilities produce multiple products. It was also fairly common to have multiple "brands" (or perceived manufacturer's) of products produced in a single facility. The practice is commonly referred to as "private labeling".

As an example, I did one project for a lawnmower manufacturer and they produced 7 brands of lawnmowers (you don't think Sears or Home Depot actually design and make their own lawnmowers do you? :wink: ) in a single facility. Although these 7 different brands of lawnmowers ultimately all went through my transportation and paint finishing system, they were delivered to 2 different assembly lines. Each "brand" was actually different from the others. Although all 7 were made in the same plant, ran through the same systems and were assembled on the same 2 assembly lines, there were differences in metal thickness of the body housings, varying amounts of stiffeners installed, differences in the amount of protective coating finishes applied, differing quality control requirements, different engines, different transmissions, different height adjustment mechanisms, etc. Oh yeah, and they got painted different colors, had different stickers on them and got put in different boxes :lol: . I saw this multiple brands, or "manufacturer's", in a common facility or under common ownership quite a bit. The "economies of scale", meaning the more of something someone produces, the more economically they typically can produce the average unit, is a key driver in the manufacturing industry.

Thus, I encourage people to not assume that just because two products come from the same manufacturer or the manufacturer of one product is owned by another that the products are identical. They may be or they may not be.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:14 pm 
I live here
I live here

Yellow costs more due to its ability to do more. If you don't plan to have a lot of accessories that draw from it, go with red. If you have a winch or a lot of lights and sound system, a yellow is a better route.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 pm 

update my Redtop lasted 6 months and went dead, charged it "the optima way three different times" its junk. Optima giving me a hassle due to the fact it was bought in Ark. I am in Ohio and they want me to yake it back to the place where it was bought
long story short bought an Interstate ( with the same specs) and threw the Optima in the corner they can take their warranty and shove it way up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:09 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
update my Redtop lasted 6 months and went dead, charged it "the optima way three different times" its junk. Optima giving me a hassle due to the fact it was bought in Ark. I am in Ohio and they want me to yake it back to the place where it was boughtlong story short bought an Interstate ( with the same specs) and threw the Optima in the corner they can take their warranty and shove it way up!

Good to know that they are really not standing behind their warranty if you must take it back to the place where you bought it..... Many people move and your battery does not always crap out near the place you bought it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:30 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

What I heard was that the Optima is "vibration resistant" and the interstate is not.

I have a red top in my CRD and have had zero problems or starting issues in any kind of weather (-15 to 120 degrees). This doesn't mean that I think this is the best battery that I have ever used. It just means that it has been a good one for me.

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

callaway wrote:
2 - i bought from sams clubs where the red top was far cheaper than yellow ( red top was $139 and the yellow was close to 180 )

Wow. I've never seen not to mention ever bought a automotive battery with a 1 year warranty? Actually, the Interstate I recently looked up has a 86 month warranty compared to Optima's Red top 36 month warranty.

Ans as for Optima, the site claims the group is 25 for a 2002 KJ. Tommudd stated he installed a different group number (can't remember what he said?) but when I went to their web site a few days ago and submitted that group/size number, nothing came up in that group for Yellow top. So my question now is, what group/size Optima Yellow top are people using? '02 KJ for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

oddball wrote:
callaway wrote:

Wow. I've never seen not to mention ever bought a automotive battery with a 1 year warranty? Actually, the Interstate I recently looked up has a 86 month warranty compared to Optima's Red top 36 month warranty.

Ans as for Optima, the site claims the group is 25 for a 2002 KJ. Tommudd stated he installed a different group number (can't remember what he said?) but when I went to their web site a few days ago and submitted that group/size number, nothing came up in that group for Yellow top. So my question now is, what group/size Optima Yellow top are people using? '02 KJ for example.
'02 KJ's got a smaller battery then '03+ KJ's but with some trimming of the '02 battery tray you can fit the bigger battery,I know since I cut mt battery tray to fit a group 34/78 Yellow Top.Now I have a group 34/78 Odyysey which requires massive trimming to fit.

'02--group 25
'03+--group 34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So am I to assume the Group Number:
Quote:
D35 (8040-218) YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery; UNBOXED; Grp. D35; Cold Crank Amps 650; Crank Amps 810; Reserve Capacity 98; Amp Hour 48; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;
; would be the correct battery to install in a '02 KJ? (Trimming the battery tray of course). - Thanks.