It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Filter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I want to do "my" first DIY oil change on my KJ this weekend. Looking at things ahead of time, I found that the oil filter may be a difficult to get at.

Is it? Do I need a special wrench? Do I need to yank off the splash guards?

I have an 02 Sport, BTW... Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be appreciated for this newbie.

Thanks!

L.O.S.T. #075255
Patriot Blue 2002 Sport, OME Lift, 245/75/16 BFG AT's on Cragar Soft 8's, Black Widow Basket, Magnaflow Exhaust, Sirius Radio, Alpine Blackbird GPS, Silverstar Headlight Bulbs, Homemade Cross Rails, Debadged, Amsoil Bumper-to-Bumper, More Mods to Come...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

not any harder than any other vehicle really, I have a couple of different oil filter wrenches, one is a cup that slides up over the filter and it works as well as the band type I have. Don't have to take anything off as far as skids etc. if that is what you are calling splash guards, pretty normal like I said, a 30 second spin off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:52 am 
LOST Junkie

KJ is probably the easier oli change on any vehicle I have owned as it is so easy to lay under there. But I have owned all Oldsmobiles who were notorious for putting the oil filter in tight spots...like my 84 Cierra that I had to take the passenger side front wheel off to get the little flap open in order to grasp the filter.

Also, please don't buy any FRAM filter...NAPA, AMSOIL, or even ACDelco and Purolator before thinking about a FRAM.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:51 am 
LOST Member

ya its one of the easier vehicle's to change oil in. just remember to put the oil pan under the oil troff and not under the filter or else you get oil every where, not speaking for experience LOL :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:43 pm 
LOST Addict

I think I am the only one that thinks it is a bit of a pain. :D All of my other vehicles, trucks, cars or jeeps were easier than this one. Not that this one is difficult just that the others were easier. I used a oil cup to install my filter but I need to get the band wrench to get it off...otherwise I am SOL and wont be able to remove it, lol. It be stuck!

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've had other vehicles where it was much easier. In my opinion it's a bit of of PITA, but not a big problem. The difficulty depends on whether you have the heavy-duty cooling system or not. It came with the off-road package and the tow package, and it pretty much makes the filter unreachable from the top. I don't have a problem getting to mine from below, but it is kind of a tight squeeze. For me the most difficult part is threading the new filter on, because with your hand in the way you can't really see where it goes on. You have to feel for it.

If you've heard about the filter being difficult to remove, you've probably heard the very real horror stories about getting the first, factory-installed filter off. They were on there very tight. If this is just the first oil change by you on the vehicle and not the first by anyone, it should be no problem. I've found that it helps to use a quart-size ziploc bag and place it over the old filter before you remove it. You can catch a lot of oil that would otherwise spill.

2002 KJ (un)Limited 4x4: OME HD lift, ARB bullbar, Warn 4X flood lights, Skid Row tranny skid, Mopar engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids, Boulder Bars, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on Moab wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:33 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

I like to pierce my filter with an sharpened punch and drain it first. Then an ordinary plastic grocery bag contains anything that might be left in the filter. I had a friend that worked on airplanes and he showed me a pretty cool little device that slips over the filter and has a needle valve in it. You slip this thing over the filter, run the needle all the way in, hook a vacuum pump and hose to the fitting and it sucks all the oil out through the filter. Then you spin the thing off and its bone dry. I always wanted one of those :D . Easiest car to change the oil filter in that owned was a '69 Chevelle SS. But that's mostly because I put in a remote filter head :wink: .

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 am 
LOST Addict

Xodius wrote:
I think I am the only one that thinks it is a bit of a pain. :D All of my other vehicles, trucks, cars or jeeps were easier than this one. Not that this one is difficult just that the others were easier. I used a oil cup to install my filter but I need to get the band wrench to get it off...otherwise I am SOL and wont be able to remove it, lol. It be stuck!

I'd have to agree with Xodius on this. You pretty much have to lay on your back with your body under the vehicle to get to the oil filter, the splash guard does get in the way.

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did it this afternoon using special wrench on the end of my left arm. Dead easy job. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:36 pm 
LOST Member

you can do an oil change without a wrench. just stab the filter with a screwdriver, then unscrew it. then put with your finger a small amount of old oil y in the new filter in the part where is going to rub. thight it with your hand.

CLEVIS LIFT
DUNLOP ROVER M/T MAXX TRACTION LT245/75/R16
MOPAR SKID PLATES
BIKE RACK
OPTIMA RED TOP
JBA---UCA NEW

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 am 
LOST Newbie

mochodurazo wrote:
you can do an oil change without a wrench. just stab the filter with a screwdriver, then unscrew it. then put with your finger a small amount of old oil y in the new filter in the part where is going to rub. thight it with your hand.

mochodurazo, you made me feel much better! Everyone else was talking about wrenches, and I have always used the "old oil-hand tighten" method. For a while there I thought I was doing it all wrong and possible screwing up my Jeep! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Oil Filter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i usually don't lay down to do mine, i can reach mine from the engine compartment, use the rubber band style wrench, the plastic bag is a good tip too

hand tighten is the suggested method, those with carpal tunnel can spin it on till it stops and give it about a half turn with the filter wrench

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:02 pm 
LOST Member

RaddKJ wrote:
mochodurazo wrote:

mochodurazo, you made me feel much better! Everyone else was talking about wrenches, and I have always used the "old oil-hand tighten" method. For a while there I thought I was doing it all wrong and possible screwing up my Jeep! Thanks!

i use that method in a old ford 1 ton truck. and you bet ill do it in my kj if i need to.

CLEVIS LIFT
DUNLOP ROVER M/T MAXX TRACTION LT245/75/R16
MOPAR SKID PLATES
BIKE RACK
OPTIMA RED TOP
JBA---UCA NEW

Post subject: Re: Oil Filter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:57 pm 
LOST Member

I was always able to get to the filter from the top, is one of the easiest filters to remove IMHO.