It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Fording
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a question and I figured you are the people to ask. :D If you ford through water will water get into the cabin? Will it seep through the doors or any other places? Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: Water Fording
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Scottm2010 wrote:
I have a question and I figured you are the people to ask. :D If you ford through water will water get into the cabin? Will it seep through the doors or any other places? Thank you :)

Fording, I have had no prolems with leaking.

Be ready to start bailing if you get stuck though, it will seep in.

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Scottm2010 wrote:

1) depends on how deep it is
2) depends on how fast the water is flowing
3) depends on how long you are in the water sitting
moving along in 15/18 inches of water is not a big deal but if you stop or get hung up and sit there then water will seep in.
If you are thinking about doing water crossings you should extend all of the breathers ( front/rear diff/ transmission / Transfer case ) get the hoses up as high as possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X2 on extending your breathers I didnt do it and they sucked in some water bc when I changed the diff fluids they were milky. Ive had some water seep in but it was a whole lot

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:35 am 
I live here
I live here

Slow controlled speed. Nothing wild. Windows up, recirc air on. Go!

No water leakage and no water sucked into anything. If you pause, you are going to have it seep in and sucked in.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you guys for all your help. I have a couple more questions... :oops: First one is what do you mean by breathers? Im still kinda new to this all, sorry. Second question is is a snorkel necessary, or is that only if you do a lot of water fording? Thank you for all your help again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm 

every transmision/transfer case and front and rear diffs have a breather tube that runs from it upwards. Look for a ruuber hose coming say from the front and rear diff to see what they look like. The main problem is that are not routed that high, so adding a lenghth of hose to each will make it harder for water to entr. There are some wrote ups on here as to what is needed and where to finsd all of the breathers
A snorkel while a very nice item to have to not needed in most cases.

Post subject: milkshakes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Adding a loop in the breather hoses an ty-straping it so it can't come unlooped along with a longer hose works as water will not go through the loop. I'm not going to say it can't happen
because I know someone will argue that, but it's never happend to me and I've forded the Gila river more times than I can remember

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:20 am 
Scottm2010 wrote:

I haven't had any issues yet with the creeks and water holes i have come across but the deepest i've been in is up to the doors and i drive slowly through the water so as not to create a wake in front. The wake will raise the water level in front of the jeep making it closer to your air intake.

About the breathers. What is their real purpose? My understanding it is to allow for pressure changes in the differential due to temperature changes. With a clogged breather, if it gets hotter in the housing than the outside air, this air expands and puts pressure on the gear oil forcing the oil past your pinion or axle seals. So, i wonder if putting something like a water proof balloon on the end of your breather would work? As the air expands it may force the balloon to grow larger instead of putting pressure on the oil while still keeping the water out. It wouldn't be as good as direct air as there would be some back pressure from the balloons resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:33 am 
LOST Junkie

Does anyone have pics of the breathers?

30x9.5x15 General Grabbers AT2 on Craiger Soft 8's 15x7 4" BS
safari rack, super nerfs, Rear Hitch, Front ARB Bumper , JBA A-Arms

http://www.BennyMigsPhoto.com