It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to change Automatic Transmission Fluid and Axle oils?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

Hi guys,

Please don't flame me, my searching (both Google and on LOST) has not really answered all the questions.

I found this about the "quick n dirty" way to change the rear diff fluid: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... ter#454983

I assume I can do the same for the front? Would it be better to use an actual MityVac or similar suction device to get all the fluid out?

Is it necessary to dismantle the transmission's oil pan and clean it out entirely par the online manual (here: http://colorado4wheel.com/allmanuals/Jeep/KJ/ )

Do you need to dismantle the diff's and clean them out too?

Our CRD is about to cross 63,000 and we don't know (having adopted her in the 40k range) if the diff fluids were changed. We do know the TC failed around 38,000 and the TC was replaced, I'd assume (but don't count on) the ATF and filter having been serviced at the same time... but it's Chrylser, so I don't expect it to have been.

I called Midas and they quoted me $50/axle and $175 for an ATF change and filter... that's not bad, till I saw the ATF+4 runs $6 a bottle (and you need 4 it seems like) at the local Autozone. However they didn't seem to carry a filter?

I'm preparing to do the oil change on her, and I really want to go ahead and do these other fluids (along with the air filter) so that I can't stop worrying about it for another 50k miles (when we get to do the dreaded timing belt).

can someone lend me some suggestions on what to do?

My thinking is like this:

Plan A

Drain ATF, front and read differential fluids, refill using recommended fluids purchased from Autozone, worry about the filter later

Plan B

Take it to Midas and be prepared to drop $280

Plan C

Assuming I can find the filter, prepare to have the jeep down for a full weekend (I take my time) and drop the transmission's fluid pan, clean the magnet, replace the filter, refill with fluid (following the long and drawn out heating/shifting/testing period in the manual)

Dismantle the differential casings, clean them out, refill with fluid.

"C" is likely the best option, but we're on a bit of a budget... I have access to a shop (lift is too small or I'm too stupid to figure out how to get the Jeep on it), and have access to jack stands to lift the vehicle (because my chest won't fit under it without them). I'm not too afraid to do this on my own, I just want to know I've got all the correct data/information/tools and fluids.

Thanks a bunch! This might make a good sticky post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm 
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!

The front diff has a drain plug so I don't usually pull the cover on mine unless I get some metal shavings in the fluid. But not knowing how it's been maintained, I probably would just for piece of mind.

If it were me I would make a weekend of it and pull the diff covers, drop the tranny pan and change all the filters. Then you can roll knowing that you are good to go. Image

CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust