It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing Tranny Fluid, Screen, and Rear End Oil?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:39 pm 
LOST Member

I've got an '04 with 42k on it....and I'm thinking its about time to change my tranny fluid, the screen in the tranny, and the rear end oil sometime soon. I'm bored at work and not arond my Jeep so figured I'd ask if anyone knows when it might be time to do the work.

Thanks

2004 Renny 4X4-Lifted on 32's!! IS NOW RETIRED
2.5" RRO OTT Lift & 32" BFG LT's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2205322

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:45 pm 
LOST Member

Well i changed the rear end oil at about 16K b/c it was making some noise..and the dealer said to do it again at 50K. I just learned now that L.O.S.T. is doing a run down here in Fl in a couple weeks so (since i allready have 42K on it now) I'm deffinatly gonna get it done before that. Anyone know if Jeep has some service that changes the rear end oil, tranny oil, and clean the tranny filter? Or if anyone does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:13 pm 
LOST Member

Well I spoke with the dealer and they said they would do the tranny flush for $99, and change the rear end oil for $99!!!! I'm kinda pissed b/c they charged me $149 to change the rear end last time. I called someone @ Texaco Express Lube who had been pretty good to me on my oil changes. He said he'd do the tranny flush for 20 buks off (makes it $79), and he took $20 off the Rear Diff oil change (making it $39). Does this sound about right to everybody. B/c in my opinion, pardone mi French.....but SCREW THE DEALER!!! :evil: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Be careful with those Express Lube places. I would never pay the dealer that much to do something that simple. Some people say its not a good idea to get the tranny flushed, I never have. I think its ok to change just the fluid in the pan without the flush. Be sure they use ATF+4!!! You cannot get this stuff anywhere but the dealer, do not let them tell you they have it unless you see it!

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:16 am 
LOST Member

Uh-Oh, I got the tranny and rear end done this saturday!!! You've got me a little scared...i have never heard you aren't supposed to flush the tranny. And what is ATF-4????? I hope that I didn't get myself in trouble, i dotn nkwo what they put in??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Haha, calm down.

A tranny flush is usually not recommended for older trannys. This causes dirt to be released and moved around in the tranny. It can also cause what little bit of clutch material you have left to be removed, im sure you are fine though.

I would be worried about the type of tranny oil they used. You are only supposed to use atf+4 which is a synthetic tranny oil. I would call them and make sure they used this, if not, Idk what to tell you.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FL RENNY wrote:
Uh-Oh, I got the tranny and rear end done this saturday!!! You've got me a little scared...i have never heard you aren't supposed to flush the tranny. And what is ATF-4????? I hope that I didn't get myself in trouble, i dotn nkwo what they put in??

Don't get too worried..... Theres nothing wrong with flushing the transmission as long as its not too often, just like anything else. The dealership includes this in their services so how bad can it be. Also, If the dealership didn't perform your work they probably didn't use ATF+4. Most likely it was Chrysler ATF+3 which is the same, minus a few additives. I've never heard of a tranmission burning up because someone used ATF+3 instead of ATF+4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:57 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the help. I will call today and ask them what they put in. I'm hoping that if something does go wrong at least it will be under my 7, 70K warranty. I dont know that I will have my Libby that long anyway? I'll keep ya posted on what they say. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

its better than the dealer up here in spokane. they wanted $100 for flush and another $100 for the filter change. i couldnt belive it. i can do the filter change myself but the flush i cant do because i dont have a wynns machine wish i did i can see the $$$$$ signs now....

Need Renegade Lightbar
Need ARB Air Lockers Front/Rear
Homemade (By ME) Tranny Skid
Alpine CDA-9855 Head Unit

Anyone willing to donate the Needed Parts will be on my Payback list when i win the lottery.. its comin just u wait...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is a little after the fact but next time you should try a do the fluids yourself and save quite a few bucks. I just did the rear and front diff and T-case the other day and it only cost about $55 in fluids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:03 pm 
LOST Member

what do you need to reseal the diffs after you remove the cover to change the fluid? Do you have to do anything special to the tranny and transfer case when you change them?

Skids, lift, 235x85 Toyo Open country A/T
Glasspack Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm 
BCool wrote:
what do you need to reseal the diffs after you remove the cover to change the fluid? Do you have to do anything special to the tranny and transfer case when you change them?

You need red high-temp RTV silicone for the rear diff, just make sure you remove as much of the old RTV from the diff and cover. The front does not need to be resealed as it has an actual drain. Nothing special for T-case just empty and refill. I cant say much about the tranny as I have not yet flushed it. If you need any more info let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

BCool wrote:

You need red high-temp RTV silicone for the rear diff, just make sure you remove as much of the old RTV from the diff and cover. The front does not need to be resealed as it has an actual drain. Nothing special for T-case just empty and refill. I cant say much about the tranny as I have not yet flushed it. If you need any more info let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:59 pm 
LOST Member

Why does the cover need to be removed? Ill be doing ALL the fluids tomorrow morning and according to the owners manual there is a drain plug at the bottom of the diff in addition to the fill hole half way up....

Flowmaster Super 40 Series (GONE, SO QUIET!)
245/75/16 Kumho KL-78 w/ Spidertraxxxxx
Ripped out the plastic inner wheel liners
Herculined ALLLL over.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

jdumont wrote:
Why does the cover need to be removed? Ill be doing ALL the fluids tomorrow morning and according to the owners manual there is a drain plug at the bottom of the diff in addition to the fill hole half way up....

Only the front has a drain and a fill, the rear does not have a drain it only has a fill thats located half way up the cover. So to get the old fluid out you must remove the cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/ ... s/at1.html

i like the last version the best.

Post subject: L.O.S.T. newbie, and transmission fluid change question
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just bought a new used Liberty [2003 sport 4x4, light khaki, auto transmission, cloth interior (still kind of smokey)]

I want to do some preventative maintenance now so I can hopefully avoid any problems down the road.

I took it in to one of the quick oil change shops and had them change the oil and front/rear differential at roughly 37,092k miles. They said the coolant was fine and that I wouldn't have to be changed until I was in the 50k mile range. I asked them to look at the transmission fluid and give me a recommendation on changing it. They said that because the line had a particular type of plastic crimping on it, they did not have the capability to change it and that I would have to go to a certified mechanic.

Fast forward to today, vehicle mileage 39,042. Got a coupon from a local certified mechanic for a "$59.99 transmission service" which included and inspection, changing of fluid and filter. I got into the shop and the guy kept talking about how I was overdue for a transmission service, I should have had it done at 30k miles, and that for my car the transmission flush would run me $150. I told him about the coupon, and he started going on about how I didn't want to just change the fluid, that you didn't service a transmission like an oil change where you just change the fluid.

So I ask him to inspect the fluids and give me a written estimate. He comes back and tells me I need: transmission flush $150, power steering fluid flush $120, oil flush $42. Plus parts $23, and tax comes to over $350 in service.

My question after all that is, do I really need to have the transmission fluid flushed with only 39k on it? I've also never heard of having your power steering fluid or oil flushed.

I haven't had the vehicle in 4x4 yet. I do mostly highway driving, with the occasional city stop/go traffic. Would I need to have an oil change or oil flush only 2k miles after I just had it changed?

I can't help but feel a bit leery at these services they've recommended. I'd appreciate any comments or opinions. I'm just a newbie on the siteand with my Jeep, but I'd like to get a good start with both.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: L.O.S.T. newbie, and transmission fluid change question
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would run far and fast...go somewhere else...

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:54 pm 
LOST Member

I wouldn't use anything but +4 in the KJ...it came with it from the factory, ya know.

Chrysler had a pattent on the +4 stuff, which is why it was only available at the dealership until AFAIK very recently. Last week my girlfriend found some at NAPA!!! So spread the good news.

I tried to do my girlfriends tranny filter this weekend, but none of the kits at mulitple autoplaces were correct.........

I'm not a fan of flushing....too expensive. Drain and change the filter, it gets the job done for much cheaper!! And you can do it in your driveway!!