It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: KJ sucking gas way too fast
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:20 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Are you taking into account the larger diameter/much heavier tires as well? That will drop your mileage as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Are you taking into account the larger diameter/much heavier tires as well? That will drop your mileage as well.

Tom I have been driving with these mud tires for a few months now. It's not that. If you read what I posted last, my trip meter said 60 miles and the gas gauge was showing 3/4. No way I could use a quarter tank of gas in 60miles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote "Miles before resetting+miles after was roughly 60 miles and my tank said it was on 3/4 of a tank"

Are you sure you have a 20 gallon tank? My '02 is only a 16 gallon, if you drove 60 miles and used 1/4 tank that's +/- ~ 15 mpg. Even if you have a 20 gallon tank that's stil 12 or a little over. With larger tires your odometer will be off too, didn't do the math for your tires but 60 miles on the odometer may be as much as 65 - 68 actual miles. On a full tank and 300 miles you may have driven as much as 350 - 360 miles! Really makes a difference in figuring out the gas mileage. Best way is to use a GPS to calculate how many miles you have driven.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 pm 

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Tom I have been driving with these mud tires for a few months now. It's not that. If you read what I posted last, my trip meter said 60 miles and the gas gauge was showing 3/4. No way I could use a quarter tank of gas in 60miles.

59 days is not ( at least on my calendar) a few months. (Posted pics on 1/31/11 of new to you tires) Your trip meter doesn't mean jack squat, its off plain and simple. Plus you do lots of short little trips, with the tires you have, tread design, weight, lifted etc. Plus the fact the gas gauge can be a little off at times, you may of thought it was full but wasn't completely, personally I would not worry about it. Drive it keep checking it every now and again and be happy.
When mine gets to half a tank, I fill it, never worry how far I went, cause I'm having fun every mile :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have to agree with Tom. If you had a GPS you would probably find that your speedo is off by 10% or so. I went to 245 75s and calculated my gas mileage and about crapped my pants. I would get about 200 miles to a tank according to the trip odometer. Then I went and had my computer reprogrammed for the tires and amazingly it went to 240 miles per tank or so. Your odometer is off plain and simple. Now I average about 16.5 - 17 miles per gallon.

•Courtesy lights!
•Mopar Tow Hooks
•EVIC with homelink
•Boiler's Top Plates
•OME 927 & 948 RSX17004s and RSX17505s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LOL, I know mine was lifted before I got it cuz the speedo was off till I put the tires on!

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bunkermonkeycw wrote:
LOL, I know mine was lifted before I got it cuz the speedo was off till I put the tires on!
It's actually about 3mph off from the factory.

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:
On an 06 Liberty the PCV valve is located at the left rear (drivers side) of the engine behind the valve cover, it looks like a large nut sorta with the hose going to it.

Only for '07+ 3.7's.

Watch out using seafoam,it's far to harsh for the plastic intake manifold.

Was there a split in the production year that you know of? My neighbor came down last week with the 90 degree style in hand he picked up from the dealer and he couldn't find it so I looked. His 06 is not in the neck, he has the same as mine. I also double checked his year and it is an 06, I do not remember the production month however.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We are talking gasser? Ill check mine in a few.

Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I stopped at my neighbors on my way to my daughters choir concert tonight. His production date is 12/06. I know years ago when I did automotive work anything after the 9th month was considered the following year in regards to parts, does that still also apply?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
I stopped at my neighbors on my way to my daughters choir concert tonight. His production date is 12/06. I know years ago when I did automotive work anything after the 9th month was considered the following year in regards to parts, does that still also apply?

12/06 is a model year '07,need to look at the 10th # of the VIN,if it's a "6" then it's a model year '06 or if it's a "7" then it's a model year '07.The end of model year '06 was around September of '06.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:

12/06 is a model year '07,need to look at the 10th # of the VIN,if it's a "6" then it's a model year '06 or if it's a "7" then it's a model year '07.The end of model year '06 was around September of '06.

I know for sure his sticker on the door says 06 with the 12 month of production but tomorrow if I can I will check out his vin#. Thanks for the info :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:

I know for sure his sticker on the door says 06 with the 12 month of production but tomorrow if I can I will check out his vin#. Thanks for the info :JEEPIN:

Yeah production date and model year can be different.When the KJ's first came out they began arriving at dealerships as early as March of 2001 with build dates in feb/march of '01 but actually labeled as model year 2002 vehicles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Found out the problem...

Someone has been stealing my gas. Jeep quit acting funny. And drove like 20 miles up the road and back to eat. gas needle barely moved from half tank! :shock: So someone stole almost half tank of gas from me :furious:
Bought a locking gas cap earlier this week...PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :BANANA:
Heard that people around here have been drilling holes in the gas tanks now to steal gas if they can't get it the other way...crazy Kentuckians :ROTFL:

Thanks for all the help though :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe they are putting gas into the tank now?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ehh
WHO KNOWS???
:-)r

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

Is your Jeep alarmed?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bhc04 wrote:
Is your Jeep alarmed?

Yes...and that reminds me; the battery in my key remote is going out. Need to replace that...

Why you ask though?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

He wants to steal your gas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Boiler Gas tank skid will take quite a bit to drill through that and with mine being diesel they will be in for a surprise. They have been doing that in the walmart parking lots for years around these parts. Ussually choosing larger SUVs and trucks they would go into walmart buy the drill bits and a few gas tanks. And that is good to hear are we considering keeping the KJ now :juggle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next