It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Key stuck in ignition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Key stuck in ignition. It's locked and I can't get it the key out. I can start the Jeep and drive though. Any trick to get the darn key out? Thought I'd ask you all before I went to Jeep dealership and have then help.

Post subject: Re: Key stuck in ignition
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Answered your pm. Let us know how it turns out, no pun intended :jester: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks. Will keep everyone informed. Just detailed the thing and now this!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Didn't budge everyone. Windows are down and Jeep is in the garage. Off to Don Marshall (my Jeep Dealership) to see about a job and to get this problem sorted.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Try and cycle the ingnition, all the way back into the acc. position and forward just before start, soak it real good with penetrating oil holding a rag under it so ya don't get it all over the place. Do it as many times it takes and try pulling with some decent force, once it comes out inspect the key real good to see if ya have any burs on it or is just plain old worn out from repeated use. If key is ok, ignition tumbler may be going bad.
edit: something I have found in the past is with women they have a tendencey to throw their keys in their purses where they crudded up with a bunch of various stuff that cause ignition problems. Not saying that is your problem but a possability.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
Try and cycle the ingnition, all the way back into the acc. position and forward just before start, soak it real good with penetrating oil holding a rag under it so ya don't get it all over the place. Do it as many times it takes and try pulling with some decent force, once it comes out inspect the key real good to see if ya have any burs on it or is just plain old worn out from repeated use. If key is ok, ignition tumbler may be going bad.
edit: something I have found in the past is with women they have a tendencey to throw their keys in their purses where they crudded up with a bunch of various stuff that cause ignition problems. Not saying that is your problem but a possability.

I'm not going to touch it anymore. Scared that I might P.O. the ignition more and it won't start. It's going to be looked at tomorrow. No worries

By the way: I do not carry a purse. Only a leather Mossey Oak wallet and my keys :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mossey Oak, when we goin hunting? :jester: Feelin the need to peel an arrow into some sweet backstrap steaks :pepper:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
Mossey Oak, when we goin hunting? :jester: Feelin the need to peel an arrow into some sweet backstrap steaks :pepper:

Plan on buying a compound hunting bow this september so I can go deer hunting this fall/winter. whenever bow season is. i shot archery for 8 years in the school system from 10 and 15 meters with no sights. bring the family on down and we'll go huntin'!!!
:CAMPING: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used to hit the woods every fall and enjoy some awesome venison on my plate but it has been years. Still shoot my Hoyt every chance I get how ever :pepper:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
I used to hit the woods every fall and enjoy some awesome venison on my plate but it has been years. Still shoot my Hoyt every chance I get how ever :pepper:

Hoyt is a good brand. I like Matthews more but too $$$

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
BugginKJ wrote:

Hoyt is a good brand. I like Matthews more but too $$$

Matthews is awesome but like ya say, more money!
I have shot Hoyt's for over 20 years and hit center every time, no need for me to change it up and spend more money. The money spent doesn't put it on your plate, just the time with what ya got does :wink:
I say go buy what ya can afford and become excellent with it, you'll have more fun and eat better :pepper:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
I have shot Hoyt's for over 20 years and hit center every time, no need for me to change it up and spend more money. The money spent doesn't put it on your plate, just the time with what ya got does :wink:
I say go buy what ya can afford and become excellent with it, you'll have more fun and eat better :pepper:

Probably will buy a Hoyt. Plan on traveling to the National Archery Competition in Louisville, KY to watch the local schools from my county and to check out the boths. Hoyt and Matthews always has boths there. The Matthews Pros are there too and autograph

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hoyt is tried and true!
Sounds like a great time for sure :pepper:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sure is!
:mrgreen:

usually i hit 4th street afterwards :lol:
hardrock cafe...mmmm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock: Did ya say Hard Rock Cafe'????????? :5SHOTS: uhhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhh road trip :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BugginKJ wrote:
:shock: Did ya say Hard Rock Cafe'????????? :5SHOTS: uhhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhh road trip :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Yes sir...Hardrock Cafe :mrgreen:
Louisville shouldn't be that far :goink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

***UPDATE***

The Jeep is fixed, all thanks to Don Marshall Jeep Dealership. Walked right into the service bay, told them my problem and they got to working on it immediately. Tumbler and ignition were fine but upon their further inspection; it was the spring in the gear leaver mechanism that was loose. Causing the ignition to lock up when in park, put into drive and back into park. I was there for almost an hour and watched every minute of those men working on the smallest problem; which was a huge problem for me. Best part is IT DIDN'T COST ME ONE PENNY! They told me two things: one, make sure Jeep is in park all the way, fully, before taking key out; second, becareful from now on. I think those men liked the idea of working on a lifted Liberty; even got a comment on the KJ from one of them. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
***UPDATE***

The Jeep is fixed, all thanks to Don Marshall Jeep Dealership. Walked right into the service bay, told them my problem and they got to working on it immediately. Tumbler and ignition were fine but upon their further inspection; it was the spring in the gear leaver mechanism that was loose. Causing the ignition to lock up when in park, put into drive and back into park. I was there for almost an hour and watched every minute of those men working on the smallest problem; which was a huge problem for me. Best part is IT DIDN'T COST ME ONE PENNY! They told me two things: one, make sure Jeep is in park all the way, fully, before taking key out; second, becareful from now on. I think those men liked the idea of working on a lifted Liberty; even got a comment on the KJ from one of them. :D

I saw this post to late. I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was about to sugguest checking that peice. I unfortunately had to replace the part.

2006 Jeep Liberty
150K Club
JBA 2.5in Lift, ARB Bumper, 245/75R16 BFG TA/KO2, Black Rock Rims. More to come...