It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 Liberty CRD-Front brakes grab then it overheats
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 am 
LOST Newbie

The wife starts up the CRD and is drivin down the road (3 blocks) and the steering wheel shakes a little bit BEFORE touches the pedal as she comes up to the stop sign. She starts to brake and the pedal is hard as a rock. She stops at the stop sign. She starts to turn left but has no pick up. She tries to accelerate but it feels like the emergency brake is on. She pulls over and smells something burning (turns out to be rt. frt. brake). She shuts it off. I get there 5-10 min. later. I start it up and the temp gauge is spiked. I put it in gear and it doesn't want to move. She calls a hook. It arrives an hr. later. I start it up. Temp gauge normal. Brakes fine. I drive it on the flatbed and it goes to the STEALER. They scan it and tell me the waste solenoid $39.85(part #4606226AC) internally shorted. Not in stock, of course. Three days later, they receive it, and get it installed along with a filter $12.19(part#5080374AA). Now a phone call with some bad news. It seems the shorted out solenoid caused the PCM $650.00 (part #4606226AC) to short out. They also replace a modulator $70.50 (part#52109543AA). Thurs. we pay $971.14 and out the door we go. On Sat afternoon, about 25 miles from the STEALER, it does it to her again. We get it towed in AGAIN. I take it out for a test drive behind the dealer. I get it up to 80. Start and Stop several times. No problems. Go back to the Stealer on Monday. The service manager and I take it out for a test drive. He drives. About a mile away, it does the same thing. We pull over. I smell the rt. front brake again. Smells like its grabbin again. I get in to drive it back. I make it a half a block and temp gauge shoots way up. It feels like the front brakes are locked. Pedal hard as a rock. I pull over and park it. We get a ride back to the Stealer. Two days later, the service manager tells me that there's contamination in the master cylinder. They need to flush the system and put two calipers on. They test drove it for 88 miles and they tell me, "we should have caught that the 1st time". No charge! Several days and about 40 miles from the Stealer, it does it again on my wife. My wife leaves it and gets a ride home. The Service Tech comes the next day and drives it back to the Stealer. Not a problem. I go there and they tell me "WE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS". They ask me, What do you think? I respond, "I don't know, that's why I brought it here. Call me when you figure something out" A few days later, the have several different options available from replacing the master and a few lines to replacing the master, all the lines, the front calipers again and the REAR CALIPERS, and the ABS control module for $2,825.35. I told him, we just don't have that kind of money right now. This Monday, I brought it to a local muffler & brake shop and it did it on the way there again. I got it limped there and the guy disconnected ABS wire to the rt front brake. I started it up and it and it was ok again. He said it was probably the ABS control. It wont have ABS now but you will be ok now for sure until you get the money for a control module. Today, her and my son run to grocery store 3 miles away. On the way back, it does it again. She parks it on the side of the road. We go back 3 hrs later. She drives it home like nothing is wrong. Has anyone ever had this problem? Does anybody have a clue. I don't have the money to just change parts. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: 05 Liberty CRD-Front brakes grab then it overheats
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

My first thought is the right front brake hose from the frame to the caliper. The rubber hose can begin to fail inside and can act like a 1 way valve which can allow fluid into the caliper but not come back out. After it sits for a while the fluid slowly gets out of the caliper and releases the brake. This can be intermittant. Also once it traps the fluid and the brake drags and gets hot the fluid expands and puts more pressure on the brake.

Other possiblilties could be the ABS control valve having an internal problem that wont let the fluid out of the caliper. The ABS unit can do 4 things. It can allow brake fluid in and out of the brake circuit freely. This occurs when ABS is not in use. It can also hold, release, or increase pressure during ABS events. It is possible that the ABS unit could be malfunctioning and holding ptressure in one or more wheels when it shouldn't be. I have only seen this happen once and it was on a GM vehicle. Or it could be the master cylinder not allowing the brake to release but I think it would be more likely for both front brakes to stay on in that case.

If it has not been done yet I would have both front brake hoses replaced. Its relatively cheap and good thing to do when replacing calipers anyway.