It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spark Plugs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:28 pm 
LOST Member

So I'm about to change all of my coils and with that I need new plugs, so my question (which I'm sure has been answered a hundred times) is, which brand and what kind should I get? If anyone has any part numbers that would be great! Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this board about them.

However, the most common plugs suggested are either Autolite Platinum (or Double Platinum) or NGK V-Power (or G-Power).

The NGK V-Power is the stock plug. However, the G-Power is the platinum version. I think most people on the board run Autolites from what I have read. I personally run the Autolite Double Platinums, but I will be switching to the NGK G-Powers here in about 3K miles (when I hit 60K).

NGK 6987 (NGK V-Power)
NGK 7100 (NGK G-Power)

AP5224 (Autolite Platinum)
APP5224 (Autolite Double Platinum)

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of the four.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited - Bright Silver Metallic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

Hey man thanks a lot. That's all I really needed to know, I'm gonna pick up some of those autolite plugs on Tuesday. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:56 pm 
LOST Member

BTW, I meant to tell you that I assumed you have the 3.7L and not the 2.4L. The part numbers I gave you are for the 3.7L.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited - Bright Silver Metallic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:18 am 
LOST Member

Yea 3.7. Your right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

How hard is it to replace plugs & wires? I had a nightmare doing it with my last car...and that ultimately lead to it's demise.

Headlights-3000k HID...illegal
Fog Lights-3000k HID...illegal
Tail Lights- black nightshade...illegal
Turn signals- clear lens w/ clear bulb...illegal
All windows- 5% tint...illegal

Cop following me...CRAP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It is very easy to change the spark plugs. The only one that is a pain is the #6 plug, only because it is located under the coolant reservoir, but it really isn't that bad.
The cylinders are numbered from front to rear with the left bank being numbered 1,3,and 5 and the right bank being numbered 2,4, and 6.

The 3.7L V-6 engine uses 6 dedicated, and individually fired coil for each spark plug. Each coil is mounted directly into the cylinder head and onto the top of each spark plug

Very simple to remove.

-Disconnect electrical connector from coil by pushing downward on release lock on top of connector and pull connector from coil.
- Clean area at base of coil with compressed air before removal.
- Remove coil mounting nut from mounting stud.
- Carefully pull up coil from cylinder head opening with a slight twisting action.

ENJOY! 8)

(oh and if you are bored, and want to get even more confused, lol.. you can read my post from a little while back.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63149)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

Last edited by infernicus on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am going to be changing my spark plugs out soon as well.
I was thinking about running some seafoam through the engine.
Basically an early spring cleaning with oil change, tune-up etc.

From reading the post, and knowing my luck, I will need to replace some of the o-rings at the ends of the coils. Is there a part number for those? And is using the Seafoam a really bad idea?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 am 
LOST Member

That does not sound easy...

I've heard good and bad things about seafoam. I've only used Engine Restorer.

Headlights-3000k HID...illegal
Fog Lights-3000k HID...illegal
Tail Lights- black nightshade...illegal
Turn signals- clear lens w/ clear bulb...illegal
All windows- 5% tint...illegal

Cop following me...CRAP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

for spark plugs I have changed them 4 times within 2 days and 2 weeks later now and I will be changing them again tomorrow. they had Denso in it that was toast when I bought it so I replaced with champion copper plus which was bad Idea, I took for test drive and it just went all to crap. engine light flashing so I turned around and went home( I wasn't 1 mile up the road when it happened) so I put the old plugs back in (the copper plus plugs were all burnt up) and the next day went to buy new plugs. I bought the v power plug and have been driving on them for the last 200 or so miles but my jeep is not liking them too good so I will be changing to the Bosh Platinum Ir Fusion. I have had good luck with them on a few past trucks so figured i'ld give them a try in the liberty. my coils are also brand new.

as far as seafoam goes. I love it in gas but not too sold on it in the oil. I did try it on an oil change on my Vue (r.i.p) and I picked up about 1 mpg avg but getting close to the new oil change for it I started hearing a little noise and it idled a tad rough but it was hitting 200k miles on that Honda 3.5 engine. I have not tried it in the trans yet and don't think I will be trying that. not sure if I will be trying it in my liberty oil either. just not sold on it.

hope this helps some

* just wanted to add my Vue was killed in a wreck by a woman that run a stop light before the new oil change so as I said I can't say if the seafoam in the oil was the problem or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

ncjeep wrote:
for spark plugs I have changed them 4 times within 2 days and 2 weeks later now and I will be changing them again tomorrow. they had Denso in it that was toast when I bought it so I replaced with champion copper plus which was bad Idea, I took for test drive and it just went all to crap. engine light flashing so I turned around and went home( I wasn't 1 mile up the road when it happened) so I put the old plugs back in (the copper plus plugs were all burnt up) and the next day went to buy new plugs. I bought the v power plug and have been driving on them for the last 200 or so miles but my jeep is not liking them too good so I will be changing to the Bosh Platinum Ir Fusion. I have had good luck with them on a few past trucks so figured i'ld give them a try in the liberty. my coils are also brand new.

as far as seafoam goes. I love it in gas but not too sold on it in the oil. I did try it on an oil change on my Vue (r.i.p) and I picked up about 1 mpg avg but getting close to the new oil change for it I started hearing a little noise and it idled a tad rough but it was hitting 200k miles on that Honda 3.5 engine. I have not tried it in the trans yet and don't think I will be trying that. not sure if I will be trying it in my liberty oil either. just not sold on it.

hope this helps some

* just wanted to add my Vue was killed in a wreck by a woman that run a stop light before the new oil change so as I said I can't say if the seafoam in the oil was the problem or not.

regular Champion copper core nothing fancy, just good copper core plugs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ncjeep wrote:

hope this helps some

Go back to Champion coppers,part #439 and gap correctly according to the emission sticker under the hood.If you bought the coils and did not take them out of MOPAR packages take those back and get OEM coils.Lots of issues with aftermarket coils.