It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tech/question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

The headlights on the KJ have a helmet I call it over the bulb.A chrome dome so to speak that seems to me limiting the amount of light to the road.It is a factory thing as I've seen on other vehicles.I realize it probably directs the light to the back of the lens to create light but seems dim to me.High beam and low beam are dull to me.I want to upgrade to aftermarket bulbs like the Xenon bulbs or Sylvania silverstars.Can I just replace the bulbs and do away with the cap or does this need to go back on? Any advise would be great......

Post subject: Re: Re: tech/question
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 pm 
LOST Member

autumnwalker wrote:
The headlights on the KJ have a helmet I call it over the bulb.A chrome dome so to speak that seems to me limiting the amount of light to the road.It is a factory thing as I've seen on other vehicles.I realize it probably directs the light to the back of the lens to create light but seems dim to me.High beam and low beam are dull to me.I want to upgrade to aftermarket bulbs like the Xenon bulbs or Sylvania silverstars.Can I just replace the bulbs and do away with the cap or does this need to go back on? Any advise would be great......

I left mine on but replaced with silver stars I get high beamed all the time when they're on low. It's your call

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: tech/question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:44 pm 
LOST Member

The reason for the chrome cap in the housing is for light beam pattern/projection.

The light is reflected in the mirror part at the back of the housing,and then reflected on the road,in a way it was intended to be,without throwing light all over the place and blinding other drivers.

Most of times if you remove the cap,it seems to be more light when you look at it,but the amount of light on the road is less,because there is no focus anymore.Thats the reason why some get flashed,you could always adjust them lower,but then you would loose distance,so...This is also why we shouldnt put hids in regular housing,hids put out a lot more light than halogen,so then the cap is not big enough to focus it properly,and then it blinds everybody,i have hids on my libby,and needed to adjust them lower,but still,its not as perfect as if i had projectors.Still,even adjusted a bit lower,i do have a longer range of light.

So i would suggest you to simply get new/better bulbs,halogen bulbs get dimmer with time,new ones like silvertars should do it for you.I did install sylvania XTRAvision on my wifes car after 2 sets of silvertars,and i prefer thoses(xtravison over silverstar),more light,and they last longer too,the silvertars might look a bit more white,but i d say they give approx. 20-30% less light compared to the xtravision,but then its a matter of what you like/need. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Some good advise from both of you.Yeah I figured the caps should stay and have a purpose or they would not be there.My headlights look like the lens's are dirty at night like covered in mud thats how bad they are.Thank goodness for the factory fog lights so I can see the wildlife on road! (deer,lots up here).Anyway I will try some new brighter bulbs and go with that....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:55 pm 
LOST Member

something else is to get a lens restore kit and clean the lens. I did that this fall and I was surprised at how bad mine were

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:33 am 
LOST Member

Yes if your lights looks dirty,then it is the time that has done its work,get a buffing/cleaning kit for your headlights,like meguiars,bluemagic,turtle wax.

You can also do it with some light,i said LIGHT buffing coumpound,and you should see a difference immediately,scratch x from meguiars works great to,go on youtube you will see so many tricks to clean and buff your headlight,and then i suggest you put a kind of sealer or wax on them.

You will see a 1 hour job make all the difference between night and day :mrgreen:

One stuff that works really great and is not expensive is called PLASTiX from meguiars,here in canada 8.99$ at canadian tire,walmart,i always have some in the garage!
And if you are a maniac like me,you can protect your lights with aquapel water repelent for windows,wich keeps the dirt away from the lights during rainy/snowy days.Rain-x window cleaner works great to.(the yellow plastic bottle) :wink:

P.s. Really good looking libby you got there by the way,i saw the pics in your intro.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding.My lenses are perfect.Clear as a bell the lights just "SUCK" at night ,they seem like a light that is dirty,thats how they appear because they suck.Gonna try some HID's I quess with the cap on and hope I don't piss to many off .I know I have flashed a few people in my day but I need more light.The wild life here at night there is always something on the road.Hit 2 deer this year with the Cavi I drive to work so not a big deal but hate to hit one with the libby...... :x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:43 pm 
LOST Member

Ah ok,yes you will love hids,im originally from new brunswick,i go back every 2 months,lots of deer and mooses,so yes it takes good lights,you should be able to get some bi-xenon(high and low) for under 100$ on the net,i even put some in my fogs,and i dont regret it,even in winter you see every thing clear!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Don't go HID they tend to piss lots of people off. Buy the Xtravisions and a second set of driving lights. Something bumper mounted if you feel you need a little extra light cut them on. I live in south carolina and the only thing that out numbers white tales here are trees and it is a close race right now. I have 4 huge 7 inch HID warns on my roof I run when I just don't have enough light. I also have a plan for two LED fogs for the front bumper here in the new year so i could run them constantly without people getting really angry and really blind when i come around a corner or crest a hill sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Will see if the XtRAvisions are around here local and give them a whurl and see how they work.Anything will be a big improvement I 'm sure! :? :)