It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ASAP How do I remove the AC Compressor Pulley/Clutch Assembl
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

I need to remove the pulley/clutch assembly on my 3.7L KJ's AC Compressor... I got a replacement Compressor, but it's only the clutch that's bad, so if I don't need to change the whole compressor I don['t want to.. Any help aprreciated.. Thanks.. David.

Post subject: Re: ASAP How do I remove the AC Compressor Pulley/Clutch booty
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Probably going to need a puller (preferably the proper one that matches the pulley assembly), snap ring pliers and possibly an impact gun to spin the nut off if it has one.

You are also going to need feeler gauges to re-shim the mag clutch and pulley along with shims to do so, otherwise the clutch will not operate properly.

None of this may even be possible on the 3.7 Liter with the compressor installed, if there is not enough room, so the compressor may have to come out anyway.

If you are not very mechanically inclined, I would suggest getting it done at a shop.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, looks like I'd be better off just swapping out the whole unit.

Post subject: Re: ASAP How do I remove the AC Compressor Pulley/Clutch boo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Grocery Getter wrote:
So, looks like I'd be better off just swapping out the whole unit.

Well if you don't have the proper tools or know-how to swap the clutch I'm sorry to say you most likely don't have the proper tools or know-how to properly change the compressor.

1st you have to evac the AC system,you can not vent R134A into the air,it's illegal.Along with swapping the compressor you must also install a new orifice tube,which is a whole line on a KJ,and a new receiver/dryer.Then you must install new o-rings,ones for a AC system,and poperly fill each piece with the proper AC oil for your system and amounts.Then you got to pull a vacuum on teh system for at least 30mins,then fill the system with the correct weight of R134A and those 1lbs cans are the least accurate way to fill a system as there is not actually 1lbs of R134A in those cans.

It's not a DIY repair and in almost all states requires a license to repair AC systems.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey, thanks for all of your help.. I am not new to working on things, but I am not a proper mechanic either so I am glad I checked this before I went out and pulled off the old one and put on the new one I just bought. I do not have much expirience with the 3.7L, but I can do any and everything to the 4.0 (that's what in the cherokee and the wrangler at the house), but that's a different animal. PS. I like the way your KJ looks.. mine's headed that way. Just got the lift and tires on, I'm working toward the boullder-bars and steps, winch-bumper and winch, roof rack, lights and some other little extras..