It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:03 pm 
I live here
I live here

I think I remember seeing a tool list for specific parts of the KJ a long time ago. Am I hallucinating or just old?

Example (these sizes are not real...unless I made a lucky guess):

Front Swaybar - 5/8" Socket and 1/4" Open wrench
Lug nuts: - stock tire iron - 1/2" deep socket, impact wrench, torque wrench, 85-110 ft/lbs
Stock Front Skid - 3/4" Socket

```````
This would be great to make and then laminate a copy for our tool kits. All you would have to do is pull out your listing (in alphabetical order, of course) and see the size and list of tools you will need for the work you will be doing....instead of guessing and wasting time.

Just a thought.

Has someone already done this? I don't want to do this if it has already been done.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What I am thinking of doing is getting a small tool box with all the socket sizes and stuff one would need on the trail.. No reason to carry more then you really need.. Weight is weight and space is space..

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I like that idea TokyoJoe! I can't find it listed here anywhere though. I'll try to start keeping a spreadsheet of what tool/size I use on what job. We could all combine our lists and probably get most of the list done.

Same here Ben. Minimize as much as possible. And loading all the tools you need into a Jeep is like loading up a moving van!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:06 pm 
LOST Member

I hate to be obvious but I never go anywhere without jumper cables.

'05 Sport 4X4, 3.7L - Black | Frankenlift II Premium, JBA KJ Lifted A-Arms 4.5 | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - LT245/75R16, Load C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Extra lug nuts. in fact, if you run locking lug nuts, you should replace them with standard lugs before trail riding so if you have to change a tire in bad conditions, you're not messing with a lock!

That ones worth an award! :wink:

I bought a 3 foot breaker bar and the appropriate heavy duty socket for my lugs. Gives me alot more torque than the standard lug wrench. I keep the bar at the bottom rear of my back seats under the little flap of carpet that velcros to the back of the seats to cover the seam. It keeps it in place, it's hidden, doesn't take any extra space, and I know it's there when I need it!

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

LOL, Latex gloves... Pansies! What ever happened to the good ole days of just spraying your hands off with some B-12 chemtool and whiping them off with a red rag?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:29 am 
LOST Newbie

HOLY CRAP :shock: You guys take that much with you ?? you'd be looking at a 1" drop in rear suspension height if you took most of that gear with you!!

The only thing we take here in Australia is a snatch strap & a bottle of water !! Us Jeepers rely on the Nissan & Toyota guys to bring the tools as they always break stuff! :P

hehe! no seriously, this is a great thread - makes me realise what I should pack for next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:14 am 
LOST Member

SAR02KJ wrote:
LOL, Latex gloves... Pansies! What ever happened to the good ole days of just spraying your hands off with some B-12 chemtool and whiping them off with a red rag?

WD-40 works good for that also :lol:

Off-Road Package,
Rock Rails,
Tow Package, Factory Tow Hooks Front.
Rear Hitch Tow Hook,
750 Watt Inverter,
Cobra 25 WX CB Radio W/ a Cobra HG-M75 Power Mic
Cobra 100 Watt CB Magnet Mount Antenna - HG-A1000
Garmin nuvi 265T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Some important things that were left off the list

1. Try wheel with others I guess you classify this as an emergency ride out.
2. Cell phone.
3. Tell someone back home where you're going and when you'll be back.
4. Don't forget some chocolate.
5. Map
6. Compass

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Last edited by spencevans on Mon May 08, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

A little Methanol works well also when you're at the dunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:27 pm 
LOST Member

How about a #E14 Internal star socket x 3/8" drive so if you have to remove the front spindle hub assembly to get a halfshaft out so you can limp home in 4 x 2.

2002 Silver Sport 4x4 3.7L-5 Speed NV3550 Manual Transmission-NV231J TC-Frankenlift-AllJ Interior Rack-ARB Bumper-Hella Driving Lights-Electric Trailer Brake-Moog LBJs-JBA 4.5 UCAs-Detroit Trutrac (Front)-245/70/16 Dueler A/T Tires-Amsoil EaA201 Air Filter-Tom Woods Custom Front Drive Shaft-Rock Lizard Gecko HD Roof Rails-Onboard Co2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can't believe it didn't come up yet...

Tire plug kit
with 20 extra plugs and the large can of rubber cement.

I have been amazed at how large a slice we have been able to "plug" and there is at least one or two flats per trail ride that I have been on. This was one of my first supplies along with an extra valve stem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:49 am 
LOST Addict

WD-40 as well as electrical parts spray can. When you have to clean out your electric fan after it stops working from getting completely caked in mud, you'll need that spray can to clean it out after disassembling the unit on the trail. Right, Mule? ;-)

I must say again, extra rivets and a rivet gun for all the plastic parts. I don't go one day off road without needing to replace a few rivets!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3199258

JeepTales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:57 am 
LOST Newbie

saw a cj at the mud runs the other day with a 1 1/2 gallon water sprayer, thought he was crazy till he hosed out his alternator and radiator, then he dumped it and made it a water proof container go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:21 pm 
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

I was at Sears and a couple of other tool places. I can't find a 35 mm socket. How frequently is it used? thanks.

MOPAR tow hooks
RL Skink Step Sliders
Magnaflow
3/4 armored
235/70/16 Grabber AT 2
and a lot of little stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
chetos

I was at Sears and a couple of other tool places. I can't find a 35 mm socket. How frequently is it used? thanks.
I ordered mine from CarQuest,it was $10.99(deepwell 1/2" drive impact axlenut socket for GM vehicles,I know but it works on KJ's to).Should be able to order one from Napa to,the only use is the front axle nuts(the big nut poking out of the center hubs),handy when you need to change the front cv's or bearings,and LBJ's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:04 pm 
LOST Member

On my jeep, the lug nuts are 19mm. (which is 3/4") but for those who just want to buy a metric set of sockets.

Very cool list.

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a pretty good set of tools in the Jeep, I hate to find butchered nut and bolts because someone used the wrong sized wrench or a shifter so make sure you get those sizes that are not in normal assorted tool kits. i.e 18 mm (everyone will have 17-19mm)
I also have a cheap multimeter to check fuses and wiring. Probably the most important asset is a service manual..(it may help others to help you) mine is a 2004 Haynes but it seems to cover most things on the 2005. Up to now I always had a fancy steel toolbox. Since I purchased all my recovery gear in a heavy duty canvas carry bag I decided to get an extra bag for my tools. Much quieter in the back of the truck now as the tools don't bang around as much. I haven't fitted a cargo barrier yet so I feel a little safer with this setup.. Not much water to waste over here so some waterless hand cleaner a a few old rags and towels. (I wash and re-use, paper towels aren't very "Green.." and you can't lie on them like an old beach towel)
If you carry oil don't forget a small hand pump to suck out the diffs. I have a grease gun also but it may be a overkill as the Jeep is a bit shy on grease nipples... I wish we could get spare a parts catalog, its a pain in the a*@ getting numbers out of the local dealership when your trying to explain over the phone what you need. Try to ring and ask for the clips that hold the plastic door sills on... DOH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

A First Aid kit. Adventure Medical makes some nice ones. Just in case...

Yeah Its A Diesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:32 pm 
I live here
I live here

Mentioned already but not a tool.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next