It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice for 03 liberty
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:47 am 
LOST Newbie

I didn't know where exactly to post this, but I need advice, any and all will be appreicated. I have a 03 liberty, that has over 200,000. I know I need a new one, but all in good time. My engine started making a noise about three months ago maybe longer (like a knocking). Last week, I was driving to work and my jeep's power went off for a split second, came right back on and started making this awful really loud sound, like a hundred pop cans on the back of a wedding car. Father in law said that the engine is gone and I need to replace it, however, how could the engine have blown up if the jeep started and I drove 25 miles back home? I would like to know if anyone has a different solution of what could be the problem, besides a piston ring (if that is right).

Thanks!
Jolene

Post subject: Re: Advice for 03 liberty
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

any number of things, mechanically, can cause what you're describing - I've had several engines which locked up and once were cooled down started again, yet that didn't mean that the engine wasn't mechanically destroying itself due to broken parts such as spun bearings etc

that being said, the cheapest and non-terminal culprit that can make a ton of racket is a trashed idler/tensioner unit - it's a spring loaded part which maintains tension on the serpentine belt that drives all the accessories, they tend to last around 45-60k miles

of course, I kinda think your problem will end up being elsewhere due to the miles on the vehicle, hopefully lucks on your side ?

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632