It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to sell on eBay
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I thought I'd share a few tricks I've picked up over the years for selling stuff on eBay, particularly KJ parts. You would think most of these things are common sense, but do a search, you'll see they're not.

Listing & Timing - Put everything in the title, most people just search the titles. A flashy title will stand out to the people skimming the lists, but the VAST majority just search the title. If you don't have enough room in the title or subtitle, add the info to the description. There is an option that let's you search title & descriptions. Just because you list an item for 10 days doesn't mean it will sell for more than an item listed for 7 days. 1 or 2 more people may see it, but most people search for the title, or scan the ending soonest or newly listed items. List you item so it ends at a reasonable hour. Most of your bidding will occur in the last 5 minutes. You'll make more money if the item doesn't end during business hours (think East & West Coasts) or late at night. I've had the best luck selling things that end Friday, Saturday & Sunday night between 10pm & 11pm Eastern Time.

1. Title - This is the most important part of your listing. A subtitle may be necessary to get everything to fit. Be as accurate as possible in the title while keeping in mind people will be searching for this. You need to include what people will be searching for, for example: include common mispelled words (disc, disk, etc.), other the major manufacturer and models the part may fit (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Liberty, Wrangler, Durango, etc), and years (2002 and 02). If it's something that will fit any vehicle (like tires) list as many of the models you can fit.

2. Description - This is where you can give an accurate description of your pruduct. If a model number is on there, be sure to list it. Go out of your way to make sure you have a picture of your item from several angles.

3. Price -
a. Do a search and see if there are any similar products out there. If you find something similar, wait and see how much it goes for and set your price accordingly. Contact the runner-up and let them know you have something exactly like the item he just bid on and didn't win. Pay attention to Buy it Now auctions that don't sell. If they don't sell, there's no demand or they're over priced.
b. Reserve/minimum bid. A lot of people will hesitate to bid on an item with a reserve, unless they REALLY want it. Set a minimum bid to the least you're willing to take for it. Worst case scenario, you don't get as much as you hoped, but you will sell more items and make more money this way. I gaurantee an item will never go for more than people are will to pay for it if you set a reserve bid too high. Remember it costs money to relist an item.

4. Item - Clean your item up, don't post a picture of a dusty part and write 'cleans up real good'. Take a minute and do it yourself, your wallet will benefit.

5. Payment - You will have a better chance of selling an item if you accept Paypal. You take a risk as a seller by accepting checks and money orders. If a fake money order comes, you cash or deposit it, the money shows up, but then the check/money order comes up two weeks later as fraudulent, YOU eat the cost of the money order. NEVER accept payment for more than the item amount, that should be your first indication of a scam.

6. Shipping - Be sure to include where the package is coming from (preferrably a zip code, that's how you look up price on UPS). Dimensions of the package (LxWxH and the weight). That way the buyer has no surprises, and you won't have to pay to relist when they tell you they're not paying that ridiculous amount for shipping. Or list a flat shipping fee (you can calculate max shipping by entering the dimension and shipping it from Tampa to Seattle) Once the item is shipped, send the buyer a tracking number. USPS & FedEx tracking number only confirm delivery, UPS tracks it almost instantly.

7. Feedback - Leave feedback as soon as payment is received. Once that payment has been made the buyers obligations to your are complete. (Buying is different than sell, see my next FAQ).

8. Other - Hopefully you've included enough inforation and pictures that anyone's questions will be answered before they're asked. You won't have to worry about respond to 50 e-mails, or people not placing bids because they were missing key information. Most of the question asked will be for a picture, or for shipping information. IF you don't include all the info someone may e-mail you with a question, but you don't get a response out to them before their have a chance to bid, and you lose a sale.

That's my checklist I go over everytime I list an item, I hope it makes it easier you all. (LOST members are pretty intelligent and already know most of this stuff, but maybe a newb will wander across it and benefit from it). Now sit back and let the money roll in.

(I'll follow up with a 'How to buy on eBay' FAQ in the next day or two.)