It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 liberty 2.8 diesel..Clunk sound
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Y'all,
Just purchased a 2006 liberty limited for my 16 yr old daughter, 2.8 diesel,123,000 miles.Runs great but when you first turn over the ignition there is a thump or clunk sound and when you shut it off it does the same thing.Thump/clunk sounds like its in the area just under and forward of the transmission lever,Maybe a motor mount? or trans mount?

Thanks,Dave in Maryland.

Post subject: Re: 2006 liberty 2.8 diesel..Clunk sound
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Only thing I can think of are the torque converter bolts. But, if you're talking about a clunk when you put it in gear, then yeah, that's the motor or transmission mounts.

Maybe a bad FCV could cause this?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

It only happen on start up and turning off the engine, Shifting into and out of gear it is just fine.Oh its an automatic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

Usually something like engine mounts for shutdown clunk. Just went to greendieslengineering on Friday. They told me my clunk was this. Can buy from idparts.com for 55.00. And best area for card questions is in the crd section further down sites main page.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:24 pm 
LOST Addict

what the other guy posted above, and makes sense that a really trashed motor mount could clunk on start up and stop. I would get underneath there with a really long screwdriver or extention or whatever, and put it to the motor mounts, one at a time and see if that's the spot. You might be able to hear it without the device to your ear. If it's coming from the bell housing, should be obvious with something to your ear, then it's likely the TC bolts.

If it's TC bolts: Since they have been known to come loose on these. I would pull the starter, and then pull the access cover above where the starter was, and remove the 4 TC bolts one at a time and replace them to spec with red locktite. If they are loose, you found your clunk, if not, on to the next thing.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete