It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a budget OME KJ Lift
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:37 am 
LOST Newbie

I am planning on lifting my jeep, but I am currently a student on a students budget. I was originally set on the frankenlift, but then I did some calculations and found out that (not including shipping) everything came to over $2000cad, and I cant afford to spend that much on a lift and later tires. I want to get around 2.5", so I was wondering if I could get the 1.5" OME kit from JBA with UCAs, and use some spacers and isos to get to desired height. My main questions are: Is this possible or realistic? Will this setup put unwanted stress on my jeep? Are there any other key components I would need? Do I need HD or Med springs/shocks/struts? And where can I find these 1" spacers/isos?
I do use my jeep off-road so I do need performance. I don't wheel it that hard (yet), I'm still learning.

Post subject: Re: Looking for a budget OME KJ Lift
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

The OME 1.5" lift will give you 2.5" of lift and that's the way most guys seem to go.

I went a different direction. I went with the H&R 1.5" lift springs and Gabriel Ultra shocks front and rear. Currently I'm at 20.5" front and 21.0" rear and the ride and handling are awesome. Much more stable and a "little" firmer than the stock suspension, but still very comfortable on paved roads. I may add a 1/4" top plate and 3/8" clevis spacer to the front and 1 or 2 additional top spring isolators to the rear. Those would put me at 21.5-22.00 all the way around and my total cost is still only right around $500. Some feel the OME springs are the only way to go, but I was comfortable giving the German made H&R springs a try and very happy I did.

If you keep your lift in the 2-3" range you shouldn't run into any issues except the need for an alignment or two. One right after the lift install and one a couple months later after everything has settled.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 am 
LOST Newbie

sparky123321 wrote:
The OME 1.5" lift will give you 2.5" of lift and that's the way most guys seem to go.

I went a different direction. I went with the H&R 1.5" lift springs and Gabriel Ultra shocks front and rear. Currently I'm at 20.5" front and 21.0" rear and the ride and handling are awesome. Much more stable and a "little" firmer than the stock suspension, but still very comfortable on paved roads. I may add a 1/4" top plate and 3/8" clevis spacer to the front and 1 or 2 additional top spring isolators to the rear. Those would put me at 21.5-22.00 all the way around and my total cost is still only right around $500. Some feel the OME springs are the only way to go, but I was comfortable giving the German made H&R springs a try and very happy I did.

If you keep your lift in the 2-3" range you shouldn't run into any issues except the need for an alignment or two. One right after the lift install and one a couple months later after everything has settled.

I hadn't seen than brand before, I looked into them and that seems like the way to go. How are they for stiffness, or off-roading? If I were to get that lift, 0.375" clevis spacer, top plate spacer, and another top iso for the rear, do you think that could get me 2.5? and lastly, what all was in the kit, was it just springs or was it strut and shocks as well? thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

They'll put you at 21.5" center of your wheel to half way up the bottom edge radius of your fender flare. What are your measurements now?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

sparky123321 wrote:
They'll put you at 21.5" center of your wheel to half way up the bottom edge radius of your fender flare. What are your measurements now?

I'm not sure what you mean by "bottom edge radius of your fender flare", but measuring from the center of the wheel, directly upwards to the first part of the plastic fender (not wheel-well). It's 18.5" in the front and 19" rear, so +3" front +2.5" rear. Assuming that the H&R lift is just springs, it's actually more expensive than the OME springs. So it seems that the next logical question, is if I actually need new bilstien or OME struts/shocks?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Not sure where you're getting your prices. All 4 H&R Springs will cost you around $250 or less. I paid just over $200 for my set of 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Personally I wouldn't even consider replacing springs and not doing shocks at the same time. Guys love the OME and Bilstien shocks, but I'm more than happy with my Gabriel Ultra's.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

markestevenson wrote:
sparky123321 wrote:

I hadn't seen than brand before, I looked into them and that seems like the way to go. How are they for stiffness, or off-roading? If I were to get that lift, 0.375" clevis spacer, top plate spacer, and another top iso for the rear, do you think that could get me 2.5? and lastly, what all was in the kit, was it just springs or was it strut and shocks as well? thanks

With 927 front springs, the clevis lift and top plate you would be over 3.25 inches

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:06 pm 

sparky123321 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't even consider replacing springs and not doing shocks at the same time. Guys love the OME and Bilstien shocks, but I'm more than happy with my Gabriel Ultra's.

Gabriel don't hold up long term on the KJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

sparky123321 wrote:
Not sure where you're getting your prices. All 4 H&R Springs will cost you around $250 or less. I paid just over $200 for my set of 4.

wow that is pretty cheap, I was looking on the H&R website, it says that the lifting springs cost around 399$, and I did more research and it seems like replacing shocks with springs is pretty important thing to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:

With 927 front springs, the clevis lift and top plate you would be over 3.25 inches

so the OME lift gets 2", and not the reported 1.5? so then just an isolator in the rear and a 0.25" clevis and I'll be golden. is it 2" when settled or 2" upon installation ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Not looking to start a debate, but I get a kick out of the fact that some here feel that OME or Bilstien shocks are "THE ONLY" shocks that will last or can be used on a KJ. There are probably 200,000-300,000+ KJ's out there happily running along on OEM, Monroe and other shocks. The same goes for coil springs.

That said, if you are running springs with an extremely high spring rate the stock low and high speed compression and rebound rates are not going to be the best choice for you.

Vehicle weight, total suspension travel/range, spring rate and shock low and high speed compression and rebound rates are all factors that must be considered when setting up a safe suspension. Safe suspensions are not only supposed to absorb bumps and bare loads they are also, and very importantly so, supposed to maintain tire contact with the road when going over a bump, pot hole or dip in the road. Lack of tire contact with the road is one of the most dangerous situations possible, especially while in a turn. It's not just about throwing on springs with extremely high spring rates to get the vehicle as high as possible, while at the same time decreasing or all but eliminating the available and necessary downward travel/extension of the suspension.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 pm 

markestevenson wrote:
tommudd wrote:

so the OME lift gets 2", and not the reported 1.5? so then just an isolator in the rear and a 0.25" clevis and I'll be golden. is it 2" when settled or 2" upon installation ?

OME gives you 2.5 inches of lift

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:03 pm 

sparky123321 wrote:
Not looking to start a debate, but I get a kick out of the fact that some here feel that OME or Bilstien shocks are "THE ONLY" shocks that will last or can be used on a KJ. There are probably 200,000-300,000+ KJ's out there happily running along on OEM, Monroe and other shocks. The same goes for coil springs.

That said, if you are running springs with an extremely high spring rate the stock low and high speed compression and rebound rates are not going to be the best choice for you.

Vehicle weight, total suspension travel/range, spring rate and shock low and high speed compression and rebound rates are all factors that must be considered when setting up a safe suspension. Safe suspensions are not only supposed to absorb bumps and bare loads they are also, and very importantly so, supposed to maintain tire contact with the road when going over a bump, pot hole or dip in the road. Lack of tire contact with the road is one of the most dangerous situations possible, especially while in a turn. It's not just about throwing on springs with extremely high spring rates to get the vehicle as high as possible, while at the same time decreasing or all but eliminating the available and necessary downward travel/extension of the suspension.

This I know very well after over 40 years of doing this
The OME and Bilstein are what work good on the KJ.
As far as many running the stock springs and shocks................ :ROTFL: yes there are but they ride like crap.
The 03 I bought last year wit 78,000 miles hit the bumpstops 10 times a mile , worn out cheap suspension

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:05 pm 

Oh New Hampshire this time of year.......................

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Live Free or Die baby!!!!!! Used to live in the People's Republic of Connecticut. Was nice 20 or 30 years ago, but now it's a useless welfare state. They've driven pretty much every major company out of the state, including the firearms industry. If you want a study case on how to destroy a state take a close look at CT. Lived in Florida, Minnesota and North Dakota as well. If I could have talked the "better half" into it I'd still be living in or around Fargo. Loved Fargo. Some of the nicest people in the world.