It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Blown" 3.7 Question. What would you do?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello All,

I have a 2005 Liberty 3.7 that I am assuming blew a head gasket (water in the oil). It will still crank and run really bad (which I am not doing). It did overheat.

Before this happened, it was running great. When these 3.7's blow head gaskets, is it worth just pulling the top end off and try to just replace the head gaskets or will there most likely be other major issues?

It's an 05 limited in GREAT condition. I'm torn on what to do because of the value of these even in running condition vs. the cost of even used engines. It has 230K miles on it.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: "Blown" 3.7 Question. What would you do?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

At 230K you can not complain about the quality, or reliability of the motor. That is the range of a good 4.0, and folks have raved on them for years.

Let's face it new trucks are expensive. If the little rig is as nice as you say, why would you part with it? You know all of the other good parts that you have in it. Replacing a motor with a nice fresh rebuilt unit these days is a cost cutting way to go for many more happy miles to come.

If you want something less expensive, and don't mind rolling the dice, grab an experienced 3.7 from the local salvage yard.

Either way I do not see how you can go wrong. I have put many new motors in all sorts of rigs over the years just to keep the rig around, and I have not regretted the decision even once.

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk

Post subject: Re: "Blown" 3.7 Question. What would you do?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

X2 on what Lando said. My Jeep has a remanufactured Jasper engine in it, now with over 80,000 miles. Runs like a top, and came with a 3-year, 100K mike warranty. (This was 5 years ago now, but still it runs better than the original.) A new engine will put years on the Jeep’s life. Jasper remanufactures transmissions too if it comes to that. Still way cheaper than a new car payment.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997