It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tow rig
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, we are looking at getting a ZJ to tow a new camper. The Unlimited will pull it, but it's over the max weight by a few hundred, and, well it's a 19' trailer - it's huge for a LJ...

OK, so down the street we have a '98 ZJ with 125K and PT 4wd with a 4L and some body damage and in need for rotors for $2500. A local used car lot has a '96 ZJ with 60K, FT 4wd and a 318 in near mint condition that can be had for $5500.

I was leaning towrds the one with the 318, even with the NV249, because of the 318 and the shape it's in, but after seeing Clint's thread on the stroker... :twisted:

Anyways, any advice on ZJ's?

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I'd be wanting a truck to tow a 19' camper, but that's me. A nice crew cab F250 would fit the bill.

Sorry, no advice to lend on ZJs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:29 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I can only speak for the stock 4.0 and it's no tow rig at all....Gearing (4.88's) have really made a huge difference in the day to day driving experience for me. I was about to sell the ZJ and buy a JK or at least a v8 ZJ and swap all my suspension ect over to the new ZJ. I can now pass on the fwy and actually keep up w/ the L.A traffic (except up hill on ramps that take a while to get to 65mph.)

The stroker seems like a great motor and lots of potential for power/torque ...many people love them. I'd think 318 would be a natural choice and just swap the t-case to the 231 and your good to go. If you can find one of the 5.9 ZJ's (1998) it would be even better. One of the three choices are bound to be right. The ZJ is a very cool rig and lots of comfort too.

Good luck.

Lots of info to be had here
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/

96 ZJ 4.0 w/Fipk
Kolak ignition set up
8.8 Rear w/4:88's and Powertrax
Np231 Swap
4.5 R.E Superflex w/33's
Hanson front Bumper
H.P D30 w/arb and Vanco brakes on the way....:)

Post subject: I'm not a Mech
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:45 am 
LOST Addict

Previous to my KJ I hade a Dodge Dokota '95 5.2L (318) 4x4 with auto the engine was strong and it's tried an true a real old school Chrysler engine. But be sure the rest of your drive train is ready. The previous owner had both dif's rebuild and the front CV's replaced then after I got it had to have the automatic tranny rebuilt.
What I'm trying to say is the engine is bullet proof just make sure every thing you connect will last also.
Good Luck 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is what happens when towin with a vehicle not rated to tow loads like the camper...these are both cases of owners who thought they could skimp and tow their rigs without usin an actual tow rig...V8 dont mean stinky poo when it comes to towin, if the vehicle doing the towin aint rated to do so it aint gonna be pretty...here ya go

Quote:
We camped out at the base of Carnage Canyon this weekend in Buena Vista. After a good day of wheelin on Saturday, and rafting on Sunday, we were pretty tired. Not to mention the wind was kicking our stupid , so we all decided to pack up and leave Sunday night. My friend left about 5 mins before we did, towing his Wrangler with his Grand Cherokee. We had just turned onto highway 24 when we saw a bunch of lights stopped in the middle of the road. My brother and I both had a gut feelin it was my friend. My brother was towing my Jeep with his Duramax, so we caught up to our friends pretty quick, probably only a minute or two after the accident.

Everyone had their seatbelts on, and even the two dogs came out just fine. The Grand is fixable, but the Wrangler is toast! But now he has a buggy project!! By the way, my friend learned his lesson, so go flame someone else.

[/quote]

mac wrote:
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 2:12pm
The Grand Cherokee rolled three times, twice sideways and once end over. The trailer with the rubicon went straight through with little or no damage to the trailer (except the wiring is ripped out) and no damage to the rubicon, it stayed on the trailer and did not seem to budge.

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!