It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time for More Rebuilding
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 98 GC has been a nice vehicle and I just can't let it go since it has been paid for. It has been a bit of a work in progress and is making it even harder for me to let it go as I want to recover the investment I have in it 8) (Do I sound cheap). Actually, I just like the looks of the vehicle! So at 55k (just over warranty- I had to relplace the 4 liter engine with a hole in a piston). Fortunately I located a good used one and total replacement cost was less than $2k. Now I have about 120k miles and have been throwing more money at the machine. I lifted it a couple inches, put on new shocks, all new brakes, new sound system (uses a memory stick for input - too nice), all new bushings, 31" tires on 16" rims from my Liberty, all new AC and Heater systems. So that leaves interior (which is still pretty good), diffs, trans, and transfer case.

So, guess what is breaking - diffs and trans. Thinking about replacing engine and trans to get a little more power. Can anybody give me some words of advice here? Is there an engine choice that will slip right in? I assume I will need to change the computer as well - will a new one work with the display for MPG, miles, etc on the roof console? I would like to find the guy that did the mod shown on the following web page to get his original drivetrain...
http://www.quadratec.com/community/jeep ... .php?a=622

Since I have to replace diff gears, I want to go with correct gearing for 31" tires - anybody know what gearing I should use and who to buy from? Is it very hard to swap out the guts of the diff?

Anybody have experiece with the electric locking diffs that Quadratec is selling?

Thanks...
Randy

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 4.0, 31" tires, 2" lift

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade
All J Products Lift, 31" BFG AT Tires, Carolina Rock Shop Rock Rails, 115w IPF Rally Lights, Detroit True Trac locker in front, Powertrax locker in rear, Boulder Bars Tranny Skid Plate, and Spidertrax Wheel Spacers.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/431820

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Build a stroker. See skrracings thread on that in this section. 4.10's would be great for 31's but if you ever plan on going w/ taller tires you might want to jump right to 4.56's and then you will be good up to 33's.

I wouldn't waste my time putting the JK engine in a GC, you could do much better w/ the stroker engine.

BTW, We need pics!! :D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:34 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Im inclined to disagree with JJ on the 4:56's. UNLESS you did build the stroker motor.

If the 4.0 isn't modded....do yourself a favor and get 4:88's. I have them in my 96 ZJ and they're almost perfect with my 33's .

31's and 4:10's....if you could find a ford 8.8 rear end from an 95 and newer Ford Explorer you would get 4:10's , trac-loc and disc brakes(your calipers will stay from your D35 and you just use the ford rotors and rear end). You would need to cut the mounts from your D35 off and weld them onto the Ford 8.8 to make this work. This would be a major upgrade in your rear drive train (31 spline from 27 spline axles) These do come up for sale on sites like Mallcrwlin and Nagca (ZJ sites).ready to bolt in.

Rather than swap another motor into your ZJ your gonna be better off buying a v8 ZJ and swapping your after market parts to it and the stock ones to your old jeep. The work of swapping the computer and transmissions and engines....ahhh faggetaboutit....just get a v8 ZJ and call it good...or stroke your 4.0

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/

http://www.nagca.com/nagca.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeff I agree on the 4.88's but he was looking for gearing for a 31 so I offered up a good compromise that would work well w/ the 31's And still be fair if he upgraded to larger tires like 32's or 33's. It would be brutal driving on 4.88's and 31's for any length of time.

So when are we gonna see your ZJ there Jeff? Last Chance Cyn in October? Calico in the near future? (I will be posting a run for Calico soon)

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:36 pm 

Quote:
So when are we gonna see your ZJ there Jeff? Last Chance Cyn in October? Calico in the near future? (I will be posting a run for Calico soon)

Im only two wheel drive right now...I've got to regear the front to match the rear 4:88's. Im going to have to get on the ball and get the ZJ done soon. I've been playin with my new toy lately so the Jeeps on the back burner right now.

2004 Triumph Bonneville.

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Triumph_Bonneville.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeff, Drag the bike out to Calico. :twisted:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: I might be out of line???
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I like the way you think if you love a ride don't get rid of it unless you have to. As far as power plants I'm not sure if it would work but you might research the 5.2L other wise known by us old timers a the 318. This engine has a long and distinguished history. I had one in a '95 Dakota 4x4 it was so powerful that both diff and the front half shafts had to be replaced and the tranny rebuilt. I'm not sure if you could make it work on a GC. But I don't think you could ask for a more dependable motor. But I would recommend doing a search on Diff, Tranny and transfer case just to be as bullet proof as you can get. But I think you would be pleased with the power ands dependability of this motor. I could be wrong but it's an old school motor, which is why I'm makeing the suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice, guys. I am looking into the stroker solution. I'll try to find an old 4.0 engine to work with so I can keep the vehicle on the road while building the new engine. This isn't a heavy off road machine, so I will probably go no larger than 31" tires.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 4.0, 31" tires, 2" lift

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade
All J Products Lift, 31" BFG AT Tires, Carolina Rock Shop Rock Rails, 115w IPF Rally Lights, Detroit True Trac locker in front, Powertrax locker in rear, Boulder Bars Tranny Skid Plate, and Spidertrax Wheel Spacers.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/431820