It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: front diff noise?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ok, i test drove an '96 ZJ (168k miles) with a 318 and full time 4 (NV249?)and at 48 mph i got a noise out of the front diff like when you decelerate in a part time 4wd in 4. this was at speed though, not decelerating. any ideas what the problem could be? the shop that is selling this ZJ took it in when the previous owner used a mismatched tire's on the front and blet the front diff. they said they got a replacement axle from a yard.

any ideas would be great.

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:30 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Moose:

I know that there are issues with the 249 case when turning tightly. The viscose coupler goes and the T-case starts to hop or make noise. The easy fix is to swap a 231 case into it and while your at it do the slip yoke eliminator mod too...(output shaft length is an issue and I can't remember the details so look into it at MallCrawlin.com. ZJ Mikey swapped a rubicon case into his ...you could pm him about it.

Noise on like you described sounds like carrier bearings in the differential (my rear diff. sounded that way prior to swapping it out.) I'd have a driveline guy check it out before buying it...or negotiate the price ...

Good luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jpzkj wrote:
Moose:

I know that there are issues with the 249 case when turning tightly. The viscose coupler goes and the T-case starts to hop or make noise. The easy fix is to swap a 231 case into it and while your at it do the slip yoke eliminator mod too...(output shaft length is an issue and I can't remember the details so look into it at MallCrawlin.com. ZJ Mikey swapped a rubicon case into his ...you could pm him about it.

Noise on like you described sounds like carrier bearings in the differential (my rear diff. sounded that way prior to swapping it out.) I'd have a driveline guy check it out before buying it...or negotiate the price ...

Good luck...

Thanks for the info.

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop