It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2wd 3.0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Would anyone hazard a guess on what sort of fuel mileage a 2wd 3.0 diesel would average-would 5mpg better than a 4x4 3.0 be reasonable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

I would say no- these engines become pretty consistent MPG wise loaded with vehicle weight or not- diesels love to lug and 300 to 400 lbs of extra 4WD weight is not going to make a difference--
If some one does not come out with a F/S SUV soon the CRD GC is going to be my choice for the next SUV next to my Liberty and while MPG's are important- I feel going to the 4WD version is not going to make any significant difference.

215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Tnks, I would agree that the weight would not make a difference but as I understand it the GC is awd with a selectable low range, so it would seem that not driving the front would have to make a difference, ?

The 2wd would blow big time in the winter but if the extra mpg are there it might be worth the aggrevation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I did a little non-scientific test in November after the winter blend was out, alternated weeks driving in fulltime and in 2wd and found It took about 1/2 gal more per tank. Conservatively, thats 10mi in 350mi (my weekly mileage) is less 3% difference. which is in the noise (less than the margin of error of this unscientific test.) The combination of driving in FT and the weight difference may be around 5% lower mpg, worse case.