It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Killed my jeep. need help!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:58 am 
LOST Newbie

95 Zj orvis 5.2L 145000 km

the front left cv axle is bad and i tried to replace it but i couldnt get one bolt of so im waiting to get into the dealer. *side note* my transfer case wouldnt shift out of 4 all time to 4 lo for the past week or so. anyways today i went out for a normal drive out to see a frozen waterfall. The road is sh*t. So im about 45 mins out and the road gets really really bad! eye balls shaking bad. so im like ill slow down a bit. As im doing so it got worse so im thinking it was my jeep. pulled over and did some slow figure 8s and all seemed normal. remember i have a bad driver side cv axle. I decided to turn around and go home and as im accelerating i get this severe vibration when i do around 40km/h. i figured i had made the cv axle worse so i through on the hazard lights and slowed to 35km/h because it was the smoothest ride. this went on for 20 mins or so until all of a sudden it feels as if the rear tires get more power and speed up and then i lose complete power to my wheels. i had to push it off the road and get my friend to tow me back into town. While i was waiting i checked under the jeep and the vibrations were so bad it rattled a exhaust holder thingy off of its welds. I went check my transfer case and i can shift it from 4 full - 4lo with it in drive, reverse any gear, with 1 finger. I put it in park and gave it a push and it started to roll. so anyways im getting towed back to town and around 20km/h i get the really bad vibrations again, at 25km/h they practically went away.

I figure i blew my drivers side cv axle and then i blew my transfer case coming home. Does this sound right?
so now im in need of a new TC ASAP because this is my daily driver. i dont want to fix my NP249. i want to put in the np242.

so here are my questions:
Is it the cv axle that blew and then blew the TC?
Where can i get a NP242 TC fast and cheap?
What are my specs on my current TC so i know the new TC will work?

while i was getting towed i noticed that if i revved the engine to around 1500 and then let off the gas quickly the engines rpm would drop to less then 100 and the electrics would dim and it would feel as though it was going to die. is this normal? also my oil pressure at idle fluctuates from 3-4.5, is this normal?

I really need a new TC in a hurry so any info would be appreciated (assuming this is whats wrong)

*note* i think id even settle for a Np231
93-95 V8 ZJ's: 46RH transmission, 1.55" 23 spline input shaft
is that all i need to know when shopping for a NP242 TC and is that correct?

Post subject: Re: Killed my jeep. need help!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

so i decided to crawl under my jeep in our -30C weather. Took the TC skid plate off and found that the linkage from my lever to the TC was missing. Looks like its just a straight piece of metal with a hole on each end. I manually moved the control on the TC down and then went into my jeep and the display said LO so i put in reverse and it moved! crawled under and move the TC lever UP and then put it in reverse again and it moved again! would the TC linkage coming off have caused my severe vibrations as the TC was slowly disengaging from 4Fulltime to neutral? if so what caused the bad vibrations when i was getting towed?

Post subject: Re: Killed my jeep. need help!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 am 
LOST Newbie

darn this is a tough situation dude coz you need to repair lots from it. i can recommend you to something you can do for now. hope this can help you. :google:

http://www.automd.com/how-to/