It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front Differential Woes
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

My brother recently took possession of a 2008 WK. It's a nice Jeep. This past weekend we decided to change the differential oil along with the motor oil/filter. The rear went fine, but we ran into trouble with the front. The first issue was the 14mm allen required for the drain and fill plugs. This was nowhere to be had. We checked Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Advanced Auto, and Agway. They all carry up to 10mm and Sears has a 12 mm. However a friend with a machine shop had some 9/16 hex steel stock laying around that we modified to make a 14 mm allen.

The next hurdle (which we worked around rather than overcame) is the plastic splash cover underneath the front. Access to the fill plug would have been easier with this removed, but three of the four nuts are loose from the frame, so the bolts turn but do not progress out. This is pretty frustrating on a vehicle with only 36K and very little corrosion.

I just recently drilled some of these out of a KJ (rear bolts for the front skid) and replaced them with stainless because the same thing happened, but those had been subjected to NE winters for five years. I didn't get a good look at what is above these on the WK to ascertain whether I should drill through or try to put a new captive nut in there after cutting the old ones.

Is this typical? Any suggestions on how to repair? Any suggestions for places that typically carry larger allen wrenches?

Thanks advance for any help.

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift