It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery Drain
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

Just picked up a 97 GC Limited last week. Now I'm having an electrical issue. Something is causing the battery to drain. I took it to Advance Auto and they did their check. They said everything looked good. At the time, it showed no draw on the battery.

So it must be intermittent. It will start up fine for a while and run nicely. Then, suddenly it will not want to start and the battery showed 10.4 volts.

I cleaned the battery terminals and as much as I could tell, the cables looked good end to end.

My wife googled the problem and it seems to be a common problem in the ZJ's. However, we couldn't find a fix. Some said disconnect the negative battery cable for 10-20 minutes to reset the computer. Others had no luck with that.

I have no idea what's causing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Battery Drain
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In some cases I have run into either the PCM,BCM,or OE alarm will not go into "sleep" mode and is the cause of the battery drain.My ex's '98 XJ had the same issue and it was the OE alram that was at fault,was SOL at any type of fix so just installed a battery disconnect and placed it under the front seat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:29 pm 
LOST Member

Shortly after the original post, I took it to a friend that is a mechanic. He didn't take long to figure out that it was the battery. I replaced it and have had no more trouble. Now I know why Advance Auto checks the electrical system for free. I'll never take it to them again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:52 pm 
LOST Member

Great you got it fixed,but still be aware of what tjkj2002 told you about the oem alarm not going into sleep mode,wich is a common problem on thoses GC,i sure wish you it was just the battery! :wink: