It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: opinions on the diesel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 am 
LOST Newbie

I am looking at the diesel Grand Cherokee and was wondering how well the diesel is as far as fuel mileage, power, does the transmission hold up well. has anyone run the GDE tune for the 3.0. I can fit in a Liberty, but am looking at a larger vehicle and am staying with diesel power. Thanks in advance for your opinions and experiances !

Post subject: Re: opinions on the diesel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm 
LOST Member

A friend of mine owns one,first,the 3.0l turbo diesel is a mercedes benz engine,so about reliability,dont worry,its a totally different vehicule compared to my crd liberty,the transmission seems to be ok,but he s only at 40k miles,so we ll see,one thing that surprised me,it drinks!Lots of power/torque,smoother ride than the liberty,like more refiened.

It does feel heavy,but the security feeling in the winter is there,like nothing could stop it,but you know,a jeep is a jeep,good tires,good driver,and you go everywhere!

For sure if i get a deal in 1-2 years from now i ll get one,since i do lots of long distance drive,so for me it would be a better vehicule.

Average that i can tell you,16-17 mpg city(a bit heavy foot)and around 22-24 highway,so i guess that for 5000 lbs vehicule its not so bad,but like i say,if he could just stop pushing that pedal for the torque feel,i bet he could at least get 3-5 mpg more.

I really like that grand cherokee,and for sure i ll get one someday.

As for reliability,well theres no known problems for now,but hey,only time will tell i guess! :wink:

One only thing i dont like,is its a full time all wheel drive,plus you have a little chrome handle you pull to get it locked/low geared,so no way to let it on 2wd during the summer or highway driving,but the awd is elctronic,so i guess it is 2wd until it needs to go 4wd,but that,i cant confirm.I think jeep made a mistake doing this,i prefer to control my stuff myself,but they had to follow the other ones... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I talked to Green Diesel Engineering about thier Eco tune for the 3.0 and they said that the vehicle could use a taller tire, and that the tune would pull a couple of mpg out of it. So I'm thinkin' that mid to upper 20's mpg would not be to hard to accomplish. I gota find the issue of Diesel Power magazine that has the project Grand Cherokee CRD in it. I remember reading the articles, but they were too expensive for me at the time so I didn't check them out. So now here I am !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 pm 
LOST Member

Yes it was the same for me,to expensive at the time i was ready to buy,so i got the liberty,but for sure i will have the grand cherokee diesel someday,for what ive seen now,its a really good reliable jeep :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

patmaz pretty much covered it all....
I own a 2008 WK CRD 4X4..... Power / fuel mileage ratio.. don't think it can be beat.. I average 23-26 on a highway.. 16-20 driving conservatively in a city.. got about 15 towing a 2012 mazda 6 for 650miles...

reliability is very good once you work past the issue or the ERG.. BAD idea putting exhaust BACK into an engine UNFILTERED... lots of mods for this.. some EASY/CHEAP mods. EHM (Elephant Hose Mod)... and make sure to check that the turbo inlet seal is BLACK and not ORANGE.. orange one leaks/falls apart and causes issues.. Some people have some minor issues with other parts.. boost hoses failing after awhile (I'm at 82K miles and mine are still good).. many recommend preventative maint swap on them.. keep sunroof drain holes clear... may want to clean a few engine parts if you go for a EHM or catch can or not.. like the ERG, intercooler, turbo, etc... the DPF can actually be pulled off and rinsed out too! XD... seen it done to clear the CEL.

Any specifics.. feel free to ask!

2008 WK Overland CRD 4X4 ...82,000 miles and running strong
...I read my ENTIRE Owners Manual!
fixed the Jeep ON the dealers lot and got $10K off the tag for a $52 repair! XD