It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Building expedition style Cherokee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi I'm new to the forum. It would like to ask for some input. I have decided to buy a 2006/ 2008 grand Cherokee. I have previously owned three 2 Wheel Dr. for my wife. Also 4 wranglers.me . Now I would like to build an expedition type vehicle. off-road unimproved roads. And cross-country .I like suggestions on suspension , lighting, which, auxiliary fuel, Bush guard and top racks, also if anybody's Incorporated a pop top tent. Or topper for interior height. I've worked out a plan for a modular camper inside components. Shelves stove refrigerator. Foldout rack.

Any pics on your rig set up would be appreciated. forgot wheel and tire sizes I'm thinking 29- 31 tires. Let's see what's out there look forward to your recommendations. Also the year can be earlier and got some time so I'm sure you can find a decent vehicle no rush. Well I can see this list getting longer I'm in favor of diesel. But those with more experience may have a good argument against it let's see what happens.
One last thing I know I can browse the Internet but am trying to find a way to do this in real world situation. Not A hundred thousand dollar conversion put something any working guy can put together. With a realistic budget not an unbelievable budget.
The wranglers just not big enough now that I have time to go on adventures.

Thanks in advance
glad I found this place the discussions have been informative and interesting

tugboat mike two Hondas/ and 99 Jeep sport

Post subject: Re: Building expedition style Cherokee
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Well First off welcome to LOST. What engine were you thinking 4.7, 5.7L, 3.0L? Also make a list and figure out what is needed first. I would start with skids, Rock rails, then lift and tires. That way you are protected right off the bat and don't go test your lift without protection to the vitals. Also don't go for a huge lift just what you need to run a 31 or 32 without rubbing. Also don't skimp on your lift it will help you out on the ride and the flexability to help compensate for the tire size. DO YOUR RESEARCH biggest thing that people don't do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,audiboy86 good advice research is the key. Pretty much decided on the 3.0, as far as suspension 2 1/2 to 3 inches.
Tire size still to be decided hoping that I can get away with the 2 1/2 inches. And trim the fenders. And still have enough room.
I'm trying to work out are the weight of a Winch ,Busch guard and bumper. And how to compensate for it. Will purchase a basic setup and fabricate from their this will be As light as possible. Not doing rock crawling mainly just to protect against branches and miscalculations. The wind shall be set up to work on the front and the back. I've done this on my wrangler. And it works out great.
Any suggestions on the 2 1/2 to 3 inch suspension. Also tire size as I mentioned it will be mostly highway. But the off road will be moderate nothing too severe . Stock could handle it but I'd like to beef it up some. The stock bumper will have to go along with the rear. For some clearance If for nothing else I don't like the way they look.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Well the 3.0L is a heavy beast but a torque monster all the same. I would suggest talking to Kieth at Green Diesel Engineering about the improvements to the motor and get better fuel economy and a longer life span. A lift you have quite a few options and tires stick with a good A/T one tailored to what you will be wheeling in mostly. I run the Cooper S/T because they are good in light mud and rock also have great road manners and really long life. Also I am doin the winch front and rear idea also always liked the idea of a protawinch. I am sorry i can't be of more help on what exactly to buy but hopefully I have been some help.