It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep 5.7L HEMI Owners On Here ?????
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

The wife's 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7L HEMI V8 is at 38.9K miles. About three weeks ago, the Check Engine light came on intermittently. The Jeep had developed an ever so slight engine miss. I *assumed* this engine had 60k or 80k platinum or double platinum plugs. Upon further investigation, it is equipped with either NGK or Champion standard copper style plugs that require replacement at 30k miles. Seems as if MOPAR wants the plugs removed every 30k miles to avoid seizing problems.

I begin my search for replacement spark plugs. In more than one instance, forum after forum reported poorer performance with more expensive platinum, double platinum, or iridium plugs. I began calling the basic parts houses...O'Reillys, Advance, AutoZone, Napa, etc. The Champion replacements are #446 (REC12MCC4's).

I must add that the HEMI 5.7L V8 uses two spark plugs per cylinder. Hurdle #1 was finding any parts house that had any standard plugs for the Grand Cherokee. Most stocked the more expensive but poorer performing above mentioned plugs. Hurdle #2 was finding any parts house that had 16 on the shelf..... :banghead:

Come on folks......the 5.7L HEMI has been around since 2003 and has received Ward's Best 10 Engines award 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009. Why isn't there any friggin' spark plugs on the shelves??? :banghead:

I call around to Mann Chrysler in Richmond, Kentucky. They have the Champions in stock......at $5.00 each!!! :ROTFL:

In a nutshell, I get online and order the identical plug from Rock Auto for $1.74 each. :goink: They arrived Thursday.....seems as if I've been dropping too many consumer dollars at Rock Auto (the ol' 1999 RAM 2500 has two new front Timken bearing & hub assemblies as of two weeks ago).

Saturday, I began the process of replacing them. The labor guide calls for 2.5 hours. The job took me a little over three hours. I decided to start on the driver's side, as it seemed the most difficult. Seems as if every cylinder required a different length extension (sometimes one long + one short either with or without the universal...sometimes just two short ones with a universal....it was like working a Rubik's Cube). Cylinders #2 and #4 were a piece of cake.

Anyway...they're all in and no more CEL. My seat-of-the-pants meter said it was running better on my 12 mile test drive. I then returned home and drained the engine oil, replaced the oil & oil filter, rotated the tires & set pressure, and gave it a nice washing.

I also had a few of these :5SHOTS: after it was all done....

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject: Re: Any Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep 5.7L HEMI Owners On Here ???
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have friend who is a true mechanic/tech and he always said champions in Chrysler! Sounds like you did good! Could have spent more with no gain!