It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how reliable is the XJ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I have already seen and read enough to know that an XJ has the potential to be quite lethal in the trails but what about on the road?

How do they drive and any known mechanical issues? Oh and not that I am expecting anything drastic but what about MPG, what do you guys average?

I have been doing some research and am thinking about picking one up...if I can find a decent one.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

The only issue I have ever had is cooling. On hot days (95*+) it likes to stay about 210*, but I have been told that is normal. On the trails in hot temps it likes to try to get up to 220*-240* at speeds under 30mph. I have set up a fan switch for the axil fan because it wont come on till about 240* on its own, and cuts out at 210*.

As for mileage, it's about the same as the KJ.
13-15 city & 17-19 hwy.
And that's on 32's

The best I have ever gotten on ether was 20mpg
The wost I have gotten was 12 on the XJ & 10 on the KJ (wife likes to let it warm up to long in the winter).

'04 KJ sport, Rustys spacers front+ Skyjacker coils rear,16"x8" Rubi's LT245/75R16 BFG A/T, Mopar skids & hooks, Reese Hitch.
'96 XJ sport, Rustys lift NOW 4.25" with arms, NOW 32x11.5R15 muds, Rustys hooks, Valley Hitch.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2273596
'78 Z-28 & '96 Metro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:59 pm 
LOST Member

A lot depends on how you set it up and what you do with it....
PLEASE note all comments are JMHO :?

Cooling is always an issue, the short/wide radiator is just not the most effecient design. Later models with the 3 core radiators do better, four core does not help.

Always carry a spare Crank Position Sensor, they go bad and you are stuck. OEM replacement only!! I had 3 bad ones in a row from Auto Zone.

Handling is VERY dependant on lift!! Anything over 3" do a long arm. 5"+ a long arm is mandatory!! I prefer a radius arm style long arm. The "mising link"/only one arm on the passenger side creates odd handling/loading, and chatter under hard braking. Radias arms on BOTH sides with rubber bushing will allow MORE than enough flex.

I went through 6-7 pairs of coils and 4-5 different leaf setups. My opinions: RE leafs are the best ride/flex/value and for coils I liked the ZJ frt coils in the XJ. The ZJ ones are ussually a little higher spring rate, expect about 3/4 more lift in the XJ then they give in a ZJ. Also perfer RE here. The Tera coils seemed too soft, but their ZJ ones were ok.

RE, Clayton, TNT, all of good long arm setups.
I would highly suggest the uni-frame stiffeners!! After 12+ years of wheeling an XJ it turns into a wet noodle!!!!

I built ours and many others, please ask away....I know NAXJA and JU can be unfriendly at times....
Always glad to help.... :D

90 Miata (sold)
'49 Studebaker PU (sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:24 pm 
LOST Addict

I appreciate the comments guys. I am planning on making a move back north next year, Delaware to be exact and I am looking forward to doing some wheeling up in Penn. As much as I love my Kj and I know it is capable but a built up XJ can really get things done. Besides for the price that I am paying on the KJ I could get a XJ as a project and buy a honda to go to work in!

Thanks again...BTW what is a long arm? I will be doing alot more research before I decide on anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:45 pm 
LOST Member

Longer front control arms....Radius arm style is a long lower with a short upper Y'd off of it to the upper mount on the axle....

Check out the web sites for the companies I listed or google xj longarms....
More info then you can imagine!!

90 Miata (sold)
'49 Studebaker PU (sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good stuff there Milner. I Really like wheeling my XJ. It is built fairly nice, still on short arms and about 5.5" of lift though. It isn't done being built though for sure......When is any Jeep finished being built though? Matter of fact, I was just mocking up the cage inside it the other day. I hope to get that installed in the coming months along w/ some other mods. 181k miles now and still running strong.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

they are defintly very reliable. my brother has 275k miles on his and all he has done is replace the TPS. and kept up on oil changes and routine maintence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:21 am 
LOST Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Good stuff there Milner. I Really like wheeling my XJ. It is built fairly nice, still on short arms and about 5.5" of lift though. It isn't done being built though for sure......When is any Jeep finished being built though? Matter of fact, I was just mocking up the cage inside it the other day. I hope to get that installed in the coming months along w/ some other mods. 181k miles now and still running strong.

If you have the stuff to build a cage, you can easily fab a long arm setup....Get with me when your ready to do it....

90 Miata (sold)
'49 Studebaker PU (sold)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 pm 
LOST Member

I can tell you that the 4.0 has great lowend torque and thier a noted 300,000 mile engine with proper maintenace.

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed