It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo towing capacity?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, im a buying a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 auto with 126k on it. Its from the original owner and has used synthetic oil since new. My questions are what is added with the tow package? (this one has it). Can it tow my 17ft boat comfortably with it? Boat motor and trailer weight 2k lbs. My Liberty tows it fine but I would rather not tow with the Liberty.Also I will be commuting to work with it, all hwy, what kind of MPG can I expect to get? Any problems with this model I should look for?
It has a new AC/comprerssor, radiator, thermostat, exhaust. It also has a moonroof and full power. They are asking 1850.00 but are neg. The known problems are a small leak in the power steering pump and sometimes the wipers go slow. Are these easy fixes? Thanks, Rich
Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:18 am 
LOST Newbie

The towing capacity on most XJ's is 5000lbs, 500lbs tongue weight.
The biggest problem with the 1997-1990 XJ's is the cooling system is terrible, the fix for the cooling system is to install the radiator and overflow bottle from a 91 or newer in to them.
The power steering pump leak is a easy fix, the wipers could have a weak motor or a dirty ground to the motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:50 pm 
LOST Member

back in 2000 I had a '90 cherokee. Loved it however, the cooling system in mine sucked - I didn't realize it was an issue prior to '91. I bought it with 64,000 miles on in and sold it a year later with about 85,000 miles on it - only b/c I was in college and had no money and no real need for a car. In summer time city stop and go traffic I often had the heater going to expell heat from the engine.

Regarding the wipers I had to replace my alternater. If it had power everything try rolling down one or more windows while in drive and stoped. If it's very slow take a look at the volt meter to see if it's dipping too low.

MPG - I would avg about 16-17 around town on a tank and 18-19 on a tank for mostly highway driving. Best I got was 22.5mpg on a all hwy trip. overall I'd say between 15-20 mpg. I had the 4.0 Sport w/ automatic.

'04 Liberty Limited - 245/70/16 Firestone Destination AT's, Mopar tow hooks, Draw-Tite Class IV hitch, Skid Row Engine & Transmission Skids, Mopar T-Case & Gas Tank Skids, Extended Breather Tubes, Red Top Optima, Sylvania Silver Star head lights, Hella 500FF bumper mounted driving lights