It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XJ Question...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

Wrong forum... it's a Cherokee question but this is my home so... here it is.

I was donated a 89 Cherokee. I am gonna gut it, lock the rear axle, lift it, cage it, armour the underneath and then it will be my personal tank! It's gonna be a beast of a truck! Straight hill-billy ahahaha

Here's my question. ANyone know how big of tires you can fit with a 2" lift? I don't care if I have to hack up the wheel wells a lil'. I would go with a much bigger lift, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on it, and have to spend forever installing and working on it. So, biggest tires I can run with a 2" lift.

Thanks for the input!

grille inserts, roof x-bars, tow hooks; full Mopar plus custom skids, custom spare tire riser;
Magnum hood deflector
soon: winch in factory front bumper...

Post subject: RE: TIRES
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:32 pm 
LOST Member

HELLO,
I HAD A 2000 CHEROKEE WITH A THREE INCH LIFT,AND 31" TIRES WITH KNOW PROBLEMS!! HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

31's and trim the wheel wells. This might help to save you a few bucks.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/h ... _boost.htm

BTW, There is an XJ section on the forum.....

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, I'm gonna see what I can come up with. I don't know how this got switched over to the XJ forum, but that's cool, glad someone with more know-how than me jumped in.

So, with a 2" lift we've got 'er down to 31's. Here's another question then. How much lift can I go with without getting bad vibes, bindage and all that crap? Basically, what can I do without doing a transfer case drop?

Thanks again

grille inserts, roof x-bars, tow hooks; full Mopar plus custom skids, custom spare tire riser;
Magnum hood deflector
soon: winch in factory front bumper...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldnt go over 2" if you do not want vibes. Ive always heard the xj's will get vibes with anything over that, but a tcase drop isnt alot of trouble.

Every xj will act different though.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The other problem that you run into is the length of the slip yoke in the transfer case. You can switch it to a YJ yoke which is longer but there goes some more $$. 2" will usually not cause any vibes and like said above, a 1" x-fer case drop can fix that and usually be found fairly cheap. If only going 2" or so, I would just make it as affordable as possible and go the budget route. Save the real mod money for when you get inchitis and end up going for 4.5" and 33's then you will need the $$.

I have aquired all the parts to do a 3" lift on the XJ of my sons friend. Almost all of it was donated.
I have 2" add a leaf rear springs - free
front rancho or sj 3" coils - free
discos - free
ZJ steering - free
transfer case drop - $7
front rustys tow hooks - free
rear 1.5 - 2" shackles - $50-ish
steel KJ rims - free
245/75 MT/R's - free

More to come as we find it. Now if he could just stop having other problems long enough to get the dang lift installed....

My point is that you can find good deals or freebies if you get in good w/ a local club or forum such as NAXJA and beg, borrow and barter for stuff. There is also a wealth of info on NAXJA for XJ's. Please come back here and share what you learn though so we can grow this section here too. :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Jeepjeepster wrote:
I wouldnt go over 2" if you do not want vibes. Ive always heard the xj's will get vibes with anything over that, but a tcase drop isnt alot of trouble.

Every xj will act different though.

On an 89 vibes shouldn't be a problem with a 2". On the 96+ with the newer output shaft it is. JIM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I run a 3" HD lift (around 3.5") and I barely notice any vibes.

And my alignment is off too, been like that for a month. Taking it in tomorrow for that though.........

"To average folk, they're just cars."