It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yikes.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:55 pm 
So, uh, got a question guys. It's been a long time since I've had anything with a rod knock...and I think this noise is too intermittent for a rod, and a little too high pitched, but I could be wrong. it's louder on the bottom than it is the top, so that's what's got me worried. it was quieter when I bought the thing, which led me to believe it was a collapsed lifter, so if one of y'all could take a look at this short video and tell me what ya think, I'd sure appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:16 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

wow not sure if I would let it run even long enough to record that, sound like the mains are going out of it in a way, kind of hard to tell for sure, is louder below though, if you have a dowel rod/ broom handle something like that place it on different spots as its running it will pinpoint an area easier. Is it getting any oil to the top end?
kind of hard with just a vid...good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:28 pm 
Thanks tom. oil pressure is good (above 40 on the stock gage), and it sounded like just a lifter tap when I bought it. the noise gets "faster" when I put it in gear. Sunday when I have more time to screw with it, I'll use the ol' prybar trick, but it definitely sounds like it's comin outta the bottom end to me too. Oddly enough, it idles smoother than my KJ does :lol:

Either way, can't complain for $500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm probably way off, but have you checked the flywheel bolts? I bought an old Caddy that sounded like that, they thought the motor was bad. Checked it over & tightened the flywheel bolts & it quited right down. Best $25 derby car I ever had. JIM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:02 pm 
Yeah, thought about that. a buddy of mine bought an Intrepid a while back (CLEAN car too) with the same affliction. I'll screw with it Sunday..pop off the inspection cover and all that