It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I sort-of like MY XJ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

GRRRR :evil:
I am having such a hard time trying to put my rough country lift on my jeep. Actually it was trying to get the dang coils off and now its trying to compress the NEW coils to get them to fit. I need help because I've never done anything like this before and the guys in my jeep club are kinda leaving me in a rut. Does anyone have some hints, ideas, whatever to get the new coils on??? HELP before I torch the jeep and sell the lift and just ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Tom

1987 XJ Pioneer 5-spd 2 door
3.5" Rough Country AAL Lift, 32's **FOR SALE**

www.freewebs.com/posoffroading

Last edited by MavrikXJ on Sat May 03, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I had some trouble putting the coils in the rear of my KJ, I think the reason why is because my floor jack sucks. It only lifts 13" max. So what I did is get a long peice of 2x4 (maybe something thicker, like 4x6) and put it on top of your floor jack and lift the body with it. (to make more space between the axle and the body)

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jack it up as high as you can get it, Supported on stands, let the front suspension droop down w/ shocks removed, Insert a bottle jack between the frame and lower control arm and jack until the side you are working on droops enough to pop the coil in. Repeat on other side.

It helps to simultaneously jack the opposite side upward as this helps to force the axle downward on the side you are working on. i recently installed 3" RC coils on an XJ w/out any problems doing it this way and also did the same on my XJ w/ 4.5" coils and a spacer.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Loosen (do not remove) the lower control arm bolts so you aren't fighting the rubber bushings, and unbolt the axle end of the trackbar. You will need a 21MM socket/wrench for the control arms and a 15MM for the trackbar. And like JJ said, lift one end of the axle and push down on the other side. Be sure you have your jackstands under the frame so you can manipulate the axle. When putting the new coils in, put the passenger side in first, since it has the steering stabilizer bracket in the way, and you will have more room to wiggle the driver side coil in since you will be fighting against the pressure of the passenger coil. Be sure the shocks and swaybar are also disconnected. Be sure to retorque the control arms to spec after the jeep is on the ground with tires on. Install the trackbar last. Have someone turn the steering wheel with the wheel unlocked but the XJ not running, and have them turn the steering wheel until the trackbar hole is lined up with the hole in the axle bracket. If you got a relocation bracket for the trackbar with your kit, throw it in the trash, do not install it. Dangerous and throws your steering geometry off then you get to fight bumpsteer and even deathwobble, and you don't want to go there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys, I will give it a shot. Its just frustrating when you've never done stuff like this before.
Anyway, I digress, but the XJ will never be a daily driver so I'm not too worried about deathwobble and whatnot.
Thanks again.
Tom

Last edited by MavrikXJ on Sat May 03, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:37 am 
LOST Newbie

WOO HOO, got the front end done last night and WOW, that thing sits pretty dang tall. Now, just have to throw the AAL's on and I'm ready to roll. I will try to get pics up of the front end done as soon as I can.
Thanks JJ and Rock Lizard for your advise, it all pretty much worked out.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I tried using a spring compressor for my RE 3.5" lift, then it dawned on me to simply jack the jeep higher and allow the front axle to drop a few more inches. Knowing that up front would have saved me an hour of frustration.

L.O.S.T. Member # 224