It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XJ question?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2wd 1996 2 door cherokee and i was just wondering how much trouble it would be to turn it into a 4wd. i have talked to some clubs and they said iwould be better off just buying a 4wd. However junkyards shouldnt have the parts to expensive. I know that it would be a task. Also i was wondering if all of the parts would just bolt right up. probably some welding and such. just wondering.

1966 CJ 5. restored with 33inch tires and a PTO winch. Also, to many to list.
1955 CJ 5 project.

Post subject: Re: XJ question?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Clint Reynolds wrote:
I have a 2wd 1996 2 door cherokee and i was just wondering how much trouble it would be to turn it into a 4wd. i have talked to some clubs and they said iwould be better off just buying a 4wd. However junkyards shouldnt have the parts to expensive. I know that it would be a task. Also i was wondering if all of the parts would just bolt right up. probably some welding and such. just wondering.
Cheaper and easier to go buy a 4wd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree it would be cheaper and easier to just buy the 4x4. The 2 door models Can fetch a pretty good price since they are getting kinda rare in some markets. If you sell it off and look for a 4 door, you will find many that are already built up a little and often cheap. Check out www.naxja.org forums for the listings in your local area.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:30 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

so how much for your 2 wheel drive 2 door, so you can buy a 4 wheel drive one,
been really "needing" one of those for a top secret project if its in good shape :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:48 am 
LOST Newbie

I agree with the other fellers. Buying an XJ with a transfer case is much cheaper than building one, especially in today's climate. Spend a few extra bucks and look for a '99 (best year considering its high pinion Dana 30 front diff, 29 spline Chrysler 8.25" rear diff, 4.0 L I6 motor with high flowing stock intake and 0630 head, excellent AW4 tranny, rock solid NP 231 transfer case, and many other options you would want on a stock Jeep).

By the way, my $4800 1999 XJ is cheaper and more off road capable than my $25,000 2002 Liberty Renegade could ever dream of. Wish I had that cash back for XJ parts.

L.O.S.T. Member # 224