It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XJ Buying Tips
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:25 pm 
LOST Member

I used to drive a 2006 KJ CRD, but it was totaled when an 85 year old lady ran her red light and hit my jeep. A couple of rolls later, all was LOST. The other driver and I are alright, as well as can be expected from such an accident.

I had the KJ set up for towing and moderate 4 wheeling.

So, now I'm researching the XJ model. I need a 4 door, and have been looking at the 2000 and 2001 models.

Are there any main gotchas I need to look out for when purchasing used?
What web sites are good for reference?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can find a lot of info on XJ's at www.naxja.org

But beware! Use the Search as much as possible or get ready to be told to do so by the members there. While it is a decent forum loaded w/ good stuff, it isn't as friendly as here.

I would avoid the 2001 as I hear more problems w/ them than the earlier years. It was the last year so I suspect that they were just throwing them together to get them out the door.

Avoid the D35, so keep your eye out for a 8.25 like the KJ's have and try to get the earlier model high pinion D30 front. They changed around 1999 to the low pinion D30.

XJ's make Great wheelers and while I don't think they tow as well as a KJ at the higher weights, they can work.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject: XJ Buying Tips
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

X2 what JJ said.

Stick to a 97-99 for the best mix of axle strength, transmission, transfer case, and updated features. You'll have no problems running up to 35" tires on a 29 spline rear Chrysler 8.25 and HP Dana 30 up front. The 4-speed auto and NP231 TC is solid as can be.

1996 was a transition year from the older body style, and 2000 brought on a more "refined" motor with no distributor. It also comes with a weaker LP Dana 30 in the front and a potential for a cracked head.

Most wheelers avoid ABS. Mainly, I believe, because those came equipped with weaker Dana 35 axles.

I have found in my searches that there is a multitude of option configurations, from factory towing, to tint, cruise, overhead consoles, audio, and even skid packages. Sports typically do not come with skid plates. I believe the Country versions have beefier suspension and skids from the factory. Then you have Classics and LTDs, depending on the year.

If you prefer the older style XJ, you'll have no problem finding parts in your local salvage yards. I rarely see post-96 models.

L.O.S.T. Member # 224

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just bought a very clean 2000 Classic that is in perfect condition even at 145,000 miles. Like badgerdude says the cylinder heads are becoming a problem with cracks. Some leak coolant into the oil and others leak into a exhaust port. Not having a distributor is a plus for me as I've replaced two of them in past XJ's.