It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARB locked D35
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well I've been lookin for a trail rig for quite a while and I found an '89 with a 5.5" short arm and ARB lockers front and rear with 4.88s. I've been visiting NAXJA for some research info and alotta people are super iffy on the D35 rear diff. This jeeps on 35s...now I know a swap to a 8.25 or 44 would be a wise decision but since its locked already I'm kinda wanting to keep the setup as is. Do you think this diff will handle lighter duty rock climbing with the 35s being smart and not getting in too deep? I just want to know if this setup will last if I look after it. Has anyone had a rear locked D35 in their XJ? I do plan on getting a backup as I know where a few are availiable for me...

Give me your opinions guys...thanks much!

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wouldn't want to mess with the D35 with 35" but if you wanted to you can buy it wheel it until the axle breaks and then sell the ARB and install a 8.25" with a Detroit, or a D44 if you can find one.

How much are they asking for it? is it in good condition?

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

put some alloy shafts in it, and as long as you dont beat the piss out of it you should be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

jsc7002 wrote:
I wouldn't want to mess with the D35 with 35" but if you wanted to you can buy it wheel it until the axle breaks and then sell the ARB and install a 8.25" with a Detroit, or a D44 if you can find one.

Are you speaking from experience with the 35? I just did a little more in depth research and have read a bunch of "formed" opinions...and I still dont know where I stand. I think I'm guna pick it up and run it till it breaks...replace with stronger axle shafts and keep goin.

From the things I've read (what you basically said Kyle)...if you're smart on the pedal (which I have since learned from personal experience in cracking my D30A), the ARB will keep you straight and avoid getting in to situations with excess wheel sping (duh..).

They are asking 2800 for the Jeep...and theres alot of money packed in the thing. This is a trail rig and I wont mind putting work into it and learning along the way. I'm going to check it out tomarrow....possibly driving it home with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:16 pm 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

FastTRX wrote:
jsc7002 wrote:

Are you speaking from experience with the 35? I just did a little more in depth research and have read a bunch of "formed" opinions...and I still dont know where I stand. I think I'm guna pick it up and run it till it breaks...replace with stronger axle shafts and keep goin.

From the things I've read (what you basically said Kyle)...if you're smart on the pedal (which I have since learned from personal experience in cracking my D30A), the ARB will keep you straight and avoid getting in to situations with excess wheel sping (duh..).

They are asking 2800 for the Jeep...and theres alot of money packed in the thing. This is a trail rig and I wont mind putting work into it and learning along the way. I'm going to check it out tomarrow....possibly driving it home with me.

Why don't you just drop 2800 on the KJ!!! ARB's Front and Rear!?!?
Or are you trying to do some rollover type stuff!?! :twisted:

3.5" R.E Superflex Lift, R.E Quick Disconnects, R.E Rear Driveshaft, SYE, OME Steering Stabilizer, ARB Diff Covers, JW Speaker Black Heated Headlights, Mickey Thompson 16x8 wheels, 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country AT's, 15 lb Powertank

2003 KJ Sport (BLACK) 230,000+Miles (Decommissioned)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Carry lots of spare axles for that D35,alloy or not they will break and often with 35" tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Im located about an hour from fastTRX, and i know that in my area there is nothing to wheel here but mud, and a few light trails... i know he said rock crawling... but the biggest rock ive seen on our trails is about the size of a softball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ kyle wrote:
Im located about an hour from fastTRX, and i know that in my area there is nothing to wheel here but mud, and a few light trails... i know he said rock crawling... but the biggest rock ive seen on our trails is about the size of a softball.
Even in mud It's run far,far away and as fast I can from any D35 no matter how built up it was and running 35" tires.It's like running 35" tires on the KJ's D30A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well the general consensus everywhere is that you def. dont run 35s with the 35. But boy do they sure look cool off the trail. I guess I did leave out the fact that 32s will be replacing the 35s for sure...

And Chris...give me a break. :roll: The KJs a DD until I get out of college...and 2800 is far far far from what it takes to SFA the KJ (the right way or even any way at all). Which would ONLY be the next thing I do to it... 8) (long ways away....)

I'll save more $, stock up on shafts and have fun. :wink:

And like you Troy...I'm not one for mud. Kyle's right...rocks are not plentiful in my area but I do plan on trailering to a few different places...where rocks are found.

Didnt mean to make this thread sound like a "If I shoot myself in the head will it hurt?" lol...

BTW...how "effective" are these truss kits availiable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

So where's the pictures of this beast ? :P

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no Im not talking from experience, just my opinion. If you can talk them down some I think you would be okay since Im sure there is someone out there wanting to buy an ARB locker which would probably easily buy you a 8.25 and a Detroit which will hold up to those tires.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/