It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XL CA Smog Experience
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a KJ CRD but younger son drives my older XJ, which has been beaten up in Death Valley and overheated in Phoenix and just refuses to die.

Minor Miracles And Fun With CA Smog Tests

The 1998 Jeep cherokee now has 153K miles and was due for its biennial smog test. I am not relishing this as the Jeep is older, creakier and the CEL has been coming on intermittently. Originally it sent a 0402 code for minor smog system. This is a false reading as the Jeep dealer tested the system and said it was fine but the cost of fixing the errant sensor was high and not sure how to isolate it and it was an intermittent code so as long as it wasn't on for a smog test then it didn't really matter. Now recently the PRDL/NSS (neutral safety switch was replaced as there was a problem getting the Jeep started and often there was no rear back up light at times. For the last couple months the 0700/0705 code had come up, so the NSS works but it is not read to work by the transmission computer. Any CEL on is an instant failure for the smog test. Today I got up and put the code reader in and read the codes, the reader would clear out the 0705 code but not the 0700 which is saved to a deeper level in the system. I checked on the wonderful internet and found that disconnecting the main batter is another way to clear codes. I did that and it worked, the code reader showed no codes. I warmed the Jeep up for a while and drove the few blocks to the smog test station. Stopped in front, checked the lack of codes and went in. The Jeep passed with flying colors. The guy could not start the Jeep after the test while still on the rollers, always starts on the second try for me and sure enough that happened exactly when I tried.

Now, here is the great part: as I was leaving with my passing certificate in hand the CEL came on. Two more years before worrying about that. And here is the emissions readings:@15MPH/1648RPM: HC MAX 53 AVG 8 Measured 5/CO MAX .67 AVE .02 Measured 0.00 (yep, that was 0.00!)

Don't know how long this Jeep can hold together but we hope to get another year out of this as my son's car at college. And maybe run it the full two years if it keeps going. And I'd go for another smog test if I can clear the codes out again.