It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XJ Bumper and fender removel
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

Just need to know how to take off the bumpers and fenders, so that I can paint them for my brother-in-law. I did it to my Liberty now he wants to do it to his, but I have no idea who to get it off without breaking them. Just let me know. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Its been a while. and i'm typing this from memory..so i'm probably going to leave something out. There are a few differences between 96 and older and 97+, so i'll keep it general.

Header panel has to come off first. remove the screws that hold for the grille then the headlight covers. Remove the screws for the turn signal. That should expose a 12mm nut holding the header panel to the inner fender, remove those on each side. Remove the 4 nuts along the top of the header panel (10 mm). The header panel should now be loose. Separate the headlight harness from the engine harness and put the header panel aside.

Remove the bolt(s) attaching the flares to the bumper end caps. On a 96 and earlier it should be under the end cap. On 97+ i believe there are two inside the end cap that you can access by from the under and inside the bumper cap.

97+ XJs lower valance is attached to the bumper. I believe on the eariler XJs, the valance is attached to the frame. I don't believe this has to come off, to remove the bumper...but something you may want to double check.

Check the passenger side bumper for the vacuum canister, disconnect the line(s) running to it. The underside of the bumper may have large torx bolts that need to come off (t-50 maybe). Bumper brackets are attached to the frame by three 15mm bolts on each side. Depending on the condition on the XJ, you may want to soak these in pb blaster first and come back to these and possibly use a breaker bar. Once you have these off, the bumper should slide forward and off.

Remove the three nuts holding the fender to the front side of the fender well.

At the bottom of the fenders at the back of the wheel well, there will be one or two torx bolts, i believe they are either t-25 or t-27. pb blaster here may again be your friend here.

On the inside each fender at the dead center top of the fender flare, there is a right angle bracket holding the flare bracket to the wheel well. Soak the bolt/nut in pb blaster and then slowly back the nut off (10mm). The bolt coming off the fender flare bracket has a tendency to snap if you use too much force. Not the end of the world, but they probably put that angle bracket there for a reason.

Inside of the door, on the back side of the fender, there are two (maybe three can't remember exactly) more of those torx bolts. You'll need a ratchet extension to get to those.

There are 4 more torx bolts along the top of each fender to remove. Driver's side should come off at this point. You'll need to remove the antenna as you pull the passenger fender.

It sounds like a lot to do, but if you don't have any troublesome bolts or nuts it can be done in less than half an hour.