It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bought me an XJ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sure does as soon as he can get it to stop within a football fields distance :shock: :ROTFL: Something about getting a better/bigger master and booster because the factory ABS was bypassed :shock: His problem is 2 Jeeps, one stops very well but just don't go, his second goes just fine but just won't stop. Maybe Momma will let him buy a 3rd :shock: :goink: :jester: Still love ya like a brother Larry :furious: :jester:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got reminded on a FB post that I haven't updated this thread lately! :oops: Soooooooo....... The XJ is doing great for me. It now has about 265k on the clock but with 32" tires for the past couple years it's probably quite a bit higher than that and still no problems out of the engine. I do have a problem with the water temp getting a little high in stop and go traffic and when it does that I have a problem with what I'm assuming is a fuel vapor lock. Once I stopp for 15 minutes and let it cool just a bit or open the hood and cool down the underhood temp it runs fine again. I just got some insulation for the fuel line under the hood that I will be putting on soon. It's an aluminized hose Thermo-Sleeve by Thermo Tec . Also thinking about some run-cool louvers (or some kind of louvers for the hood anyway! :SOMBRERO: )

On to the driveway mods I have done in the last few months...... I got some weld on shackle tabs from Rusty's
and drilled holes throgh the bumper for the weld tabs to stick through and welded front and back, then added a 3/8" x 1" by 6"L support behind the bumper to reinforce that section
I got hold of some 3/4" pin 13K rated shackles for those.
Tommudd and I also replaced the driver's side tie rod end.
Had to take the first purchase back because it was the wrong one. We ended up making a couple trips to the NAPA store to get the right one and had to argue with the youngster behind the counter that it was wrong! ( "But the computer says it's that one! ) :banghead: :furious: Finally the proverbial old guy behind the counter came over and looked at what we had and told the kid "go get # blah blah and bring it up here! in fact bring both sides" and gave him both #'s off the top of his head! Sure enough .... (probably because of the lift and reversed steering linkage) I have a right side tie rod end on the left side! So that finally got changed.
Then, let's see, what was next ....... I didn't like the bare look of the front steel bumper, so I got a piece of 1.75" dia., .180 wall tubing and got it bent and fit and welded a stinger on.
I also got a 1/2" nut and drilled a hole in the top of the bumper and welded the nut underneath to provide a spot for my flag when I go to the parks. I threaded a bolt into it with neversieze to keep the threads from rusting up when it's not in. You can see the silver bolt head in this pic.
I also ran to Autozone and picked up a couple cans of hammered black for the bumper and stinger and even did the grill and headlight bezels. Then decided to rattle can gloss black the hood and front fenders that had been changed at some point and never painted.
On 1 of my trips to HF I picked up some of the CHEAP $15 driving/off-road lights they had on sale and have those mounted to the bumper and am now running those off the factory driving light switch.

So I guess that's about it for now. Next on the to do list is an upgrade to the brake booster/master cylinder with a swap to a dual diaphragm unit out of a WJ. But for now it gets me to work and back and did just great at Bundy Hill Off Road Park this past weekend with Tommudd, Yellowcoyote, Ihatemybike ( in Grumpy! ) and Ted15! :pepper: :JEEPIN: :CAMPING:

Bundy Hill Run thread and pics

I'll try and keep up better on this thread in the future. Until then ....... keep wheelin'!!!!!!! :rockon: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the update KJWildman! I’ll be sure to remind you again if you become to stagnate. :mrgreen: Tell me more about the aluminized hose Thermo-Sleeve for the fuel line?

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's a slide-on cover for the under hood fuel lines that is supposed to insulate them against the heat and try to prevent the vapor lock that I am getting. I copied the description from Jeg's below and here is a link to the jeg's page I'll report back in a couple weeks and let you know if the vapor lock problem goes away. I bought a 12' section of the 1/4 - 1/2" size for the actual fuel lines, and then also a 3' section of the 5/8" to 1" for the fuel rail. On the fuel rail I'll probably have to split it and zip tie it back together around the injector tubes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The new lamination of a high-temperature fabric to a highly-reflective foil is the makeup of Thermo-Sleeve, which provides protection from radiant heat for hoses and wires.

Thermo-Sleeve's ultra light-weight construction provides more insulating than traditional bulky rubber-coated fiberglass. The aluminized sleeving reflects over 90% of radiant heat, and is fireproof and oil resistant. The Thermo-Sleeve can handle conductive heat temperatures of 750º F and radiant heat temperatures up to 2000º F.

Thermo-Sleeve is packaged in 3, 12, and 50 foot lengths, and is sold in five different inside diameter sizes. Thermo-Sleeve is available in custom lengths for special applications. Typical applications include brake, fuel, oil and a/c lines. Made in the U.S.A.!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's the first time I've heard of that. I didn't realize that insulating the fuel could help. Keep us posted on the results. Do you think a partially clogged convertor could be part of your vapor lock problem?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I used to have a 2000 XJ that had the same problem! It was fine unless I parked it to go into a store for a few minutes, and when I came back it would stumble and cough when I started it up. If you search for "heat soak" on http://www.cherokeeforum.com you'll find it. My temporary solution was to raise the hood and wait a couple of minutes. That took care of the sputtering on start up, but it was sort of a pain. I wrapped my injectors with heat-resistant material and that took care of about 90% of the issue, compared to unwrapped. By wrapping the entire fuel rail plus injectors, you may get even better results. Good luck!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That is EXACTLY the issue I am dealing with. I will keep you guys posted on the results. I'm hoping with the insulation and then the addition of Hood louvers the problem will disappear completely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don’t have a problem with vapor lock, but I do have a few plans to reduce my under hood temps and further reduce engine cooling. I’m considering hood vents, but I’m also looking into a hood replacement (cowl induction). There have been a few studies done that showed that cowl induction hoods outperformed hood vents.

Post subject: Re: KjWildman's XJ Build
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ordered a new tie rod from Quadratec this morning. Got a 1-1/4" x. 25 wall unit that accepts the stock tree's. Will get the new brake booster and master cylinder in the next few days from a WJ for an upgrade to the brake system. Trying to decide on the rest of the suspension upgrade. I am looking at a Rubicon Express 4.5" kit with everything including shocks for $1400 or a Skyjacker kit, again as 4" kit with everything for about the same price. Guess I'll decide in the next few days so I can get it ordered too!

Last edited by KJWildman on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:
I am looking at a Rubicon Express 4.5" kit with everything including shocks for $1400 or a Skyjacker kit, again as 4" kit with everything for about the same price.

Both are good kits. Most people say the RE 4.5" lift will give you more like 5" inches of lift. Whatever you choose, I looking forward to seeing some pics!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also looking at this Rough Country long arm kit, The RE kit is a short arm kit. I'm actually leaning toward the RC long arm now.

Rubicon Express Kit link
Skyjacker kit link

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:09 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Why new lift?
Didn't damage it did you
steering stabilizer needs replaced as well

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would call Dirk at DPG Off-Road. He has a few hybrid long arms kits using the best parts from each manufacturer. I didn’t go with the long arm, but I did buy his 4” OME hybrid kit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ordered more parts today. Went with none of the above! ordered a 4.5" ironrock off-road LA kit. also got front winch bumper and rear bumper w/swing out tire carrier as a package deal from Down N Dirty Off-road for $500. Now just need the brake parts to stop this beast!

Post subject: KjWildman's XJ Build
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:
ordered more parts today. Went with none of the above! ordered a 4.5" ironrock off-road LA kit. also got front winch bumper and rear bumper w/swing out tire carrier as a package deal from Down N Dirty Off-road for $500. Now just need the brake parts to stop this beast!

What shocks did you get with the lift if you got the standard shocks they will be rough country shocks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yes, just the standard shocks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:
Now just need the brake parts to stop this beast!

You should take a look at the Black Magic pads, rotors, and calipers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:

i would have called them and did the order and got the lift with out the shocks and orderd the bilstein's from autoanything the rough country's suck BEEEP that is what i have in the grabd right now i plan on getting the bilstein's all around or some fox with some jks bar pin eliminators and jks shock conversions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 pm 

dieselenthusiast wrote:
KJWildman wrote:
Now just need the brake parts to stop this beast!

You should take a look at the Black Magic pads, rotors, and calipers.

Needs a lot more than that
Those are good ( brakes/rotors/calipers) , its the,..... used to be ABS and someone ripped it all out

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 pm 

teckman02 wrote:
KJWildman wrote:

i would have called them and did the order and got the lift with out the shocks and orderd the bilstein's from autoanything the rough country's suck BEEEP that is what i have in the grabd right now i plan on getting the bilstein's all around or some fox with some jks bar pin eliminators and jks shock conversions

:wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next