It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: KjWildman's XJ Build "The DEERKILLER" ;-D
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Had a Dr. appt. this morn so got over to Tommudd's later than I wanted. When I got there he and BugginKJ (Hart) had started without me! Pieces were flying, arms were flailing and wrenches were turning! Soon after I arrived the right front looked like this already!

So we spent the afternoon tearing things apart and then starting to reassemble what we could before Hart had to leave to go night night (he worked 3rd shift last night and hadn't slept) and I had to make a run to NAPA!
old lower control arm drop brackets being removed

Made the run to NAPA and then to the hardware store for some more grade 8 bolts and some cut-off wheels and by the time I left at 7PM we had the lower control arm brackets cut off and quite a bit of the front reassembled. I'll just post the pics with a short description and then I'll finish up the installation post tomorrow! 8)

(by the way, these are just crappy cell phone pics so just bear with me on them! :lol: )

new drop crossmember with long arm mounts
driver's side long arm mounted up, rear mounts to crossmember, front to stock location on axle and to top mount on diff (y configuration)
pass. side 4" springs and rough country shock installed
driver's side at the end of the day with control arm, spring and shock installed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No pics today, but got a lot of it done!
Actually got it all done, but when we put the rear shocks on, they were extended all the way with it on the ground! :shock: We actually had to have Hart jump up and down on the rear bumper to collapse the suspension enough to get the lower eye on the stud! :banghead: Decided to take them off since they were topped out and just put the old ones back on and then the bolt stripped out for the upper mount on the pass. side! :furious: We just moved it to Tom's driveway for now till I figure out what I wanna do about that! :roll:
Ended up about 1-1/2" higher than it was when we started. Seems pretty stiff right now but I'll have to stretch out the suspension and get it settled some before I really know what I ended up with. Pretty frustrated and pissed off that I couldn't really get it finished all the way up! I'll have to call Iron Rock Off Road on Monday morning and find out what they are going to do about the shocks. Obviously these are the wrong ones or they wouldn't be topped out at normal ride height.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At least you made some progress Larry. I’m lookin' forward to pics. 8)

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:15 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
At least you guys made some progress Larry. I’m lookin' forward to pics. 8)

There :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:
We just moved it to Tom's driveway for now till I figure out what I wanna do about that!

So Tom, are you starting a parking lot at Mudd's Garage?!? :lol:

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No, not a parking lot! A storage lot! :shock: And a high dollar one at that ...... I'm sure I'll pay for this big in some way!! :roll:

:JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

:ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 am 

and Larry told me yesterday ..........
" Just do whatever you want to it "

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

http://www.detoursusa.com (XJ STM Shock Relocators) will give you Xtra for shock mounting. Larry use a punch or air hammer and knock out welded nut in shock mount location then install stainless 3/8 bolt by fishing it though with pocket magnet. :wink:

14 STI Wagon
75 Cutlass "S"

Last edited by 1996xj on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Scott! :mrgreen: I really like those mounts. They are much better than the ones I have been looking at!! :BANANA:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So .... to fix the shock relocation problem I took 1996XJ's advice and ordered a set of the DetoursUSA 2.5" shock relocation brackets. They should be here in the next day or so. (Thanks Scott!) Also finally got the delivery of BOTH my bumpers. :BANANA: They are in the living room floor taking up the space where all the suspension pieces sat for 3 weeks! :jester: My wife's not real happy about that, but I just told her she's lucky I didn't pull the whole Jeep in like some of the Harley owners!!! :ROTFL:
Now after sitting for a month and a half the battery is dead in the XJ and won't seem to take a charge so I guess I need to get a new battery this weekend too! Gotta figure out where I'm going to lay these bumpers to get a coat of paint on them. I don't think my wife will let me PAINT them in the house! :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:08 pm 

Nor in my backyard
don't like black grass :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Finally got the rear shock mounts from Detours bolted up and welded in place. One of the bolt holes in the body was rusted out real bad and had already been redrilled and tapped to 3/8" and then stripped again so I welded that side. Then I got the rear bumper all bolted on with the tire carrier. Still have a front bumper laying in the back of the Jeep for now. Maybe if it works out with Tommudd I can stop by Sunday morning before work and he can give me a hand holding it with some jackstands while I bolt it up too. Plans are to go get the frontend all aligned on Monday morning and then I can stretch it's legs! :BANANA:

More pics of the susp. and the the rear bumper.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:53 pm 

Next
Front bumper
Getting the rear shackles to move
Brakes

we're getting there

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep, small steps, but indeed forward movement is being made. I’ve been working on mine now for 3 years and I’m not ½ done. :lol:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:07 pm 

Front bumper is on, few mods had to be made but its on
NEXT.................................................................. :ALONE:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the use of your driveway and garage today Tom!! :BANANA:

Got the front bumper mounted up today. :pepper: bolted the lights on to see how they fit but haven't wired them yet. I think they are going to be moved to the upper outside edges of the hoop, but I will need to weld on some light tabs. They can't really stay where they are because the hoop won't let them be aimed up high enough. Guess I could just cut the hoop off that new bumper and start modifying it already!! :shock:

Nawwwww, not yet!! :ROTFL:

Here's a couple more pics.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well ya found a mechanic(s) to work on it for ya, now ya need to find an electrician to wire them lights up for ya or is he busy wiring up that compressor for Tom? :goink:
:ROTFL:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Larry!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know ya also ride! :ROTFL:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813085

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:56 am 

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :shock: dang

Post subject: Re: KjWildman's XJ Build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Deerslayer almost got another one last night on the way home from work. Cruising down County Road D @ 1am doing about 60 ... BAM..... :-o right in the middle of the road is a medium size doe. I slam on the brakes, come to a full stop and she just stand thhere looking at me not 6' from my new front bumper!! :-? Then I noticed another maybe yearling on the left shoulder. Then ANOTHER ONE comes out of the woods on the right and stands there! :? The one in the road stood there for a good full 2-3 minutes before slowly wandering off to the right. Just as I started to finally move, the one on the left decided it was time to join the others! :shock: darn stupid deer!!!!! Drove the last 3 miles home at like 30mph!!! :mrgreen:

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by KJWildman on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next