It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WATER LEAK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Water leaking down inside of rh B pillar ANY HELP??

Post subject: Re: WATER LEAK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

shoprat wrote:
Water leaking down inside of rh B pillar ANY HELP??

What year is your XJ? You probably need to change out your weather seals.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's a 93 2dr. sport.I have removed the roof rack and plugged the holes and urethane chalked every seam in that general area. The water is coming down the wiring conduit on inside of rear rh pillar and into the interior through the vents in top of the pocket of 1/4 trim panel. The seal looks good ,I'm guessing a seam but I haven't found the right one yet . GETIN VERY FRUSTRADED WITH IT !!! The XJ came out Florida and has no rust yet but if I don't find this leak soon it's going to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ah, that sounds like fun. :D My only solution would be to strip away all the interior trim to expose the roof/pillar. Position yourself inside the Jeep, close all the doors/rear lift gate and watch for leaks while a buddy pours/sprays water from a hose on the Jeep. It wont take long and you will be able to identify the leak. :wink:

You should start a build thread. Take lots of pics and post up your write-ups so we can learn and see all the cool things that you do. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

A THREAD YEAH RIGHT I'm a WHOLLLE lot be with a box of tools than a key board and a camera. I was hoping to find someone that had ran into the same problem as mine for a easy way out of this situation. I used to have an 05 Libby CRD and just about any thing you could possibly want to know about it was either on a thread or somebody had a good answer shortly after posting. I'll give it a couple days maybe someone else has encountered the same problem Thanks anyway!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:44 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I know this sounds dumb but....
does it have to be sitting at a certain angle or just parked where it is flat
I worked on one where it leaked in one place but ran across and drained down where you mentioned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Really that don't sound that dumb cause I have tried that already.BRILLIANT MINDS THINK ALIKE :D The only things that help are when I park with the nose elevated the water runs to the rear and is easier to soak it up verses it running towards the front and in the compartment under rear seat. Or parking it inside ,it appears that I also have a leak somewhere in LH front now too,I recently noticed the carpet getting wet.Is there something in the cowl vent cavity that would allow water to leak in that area. I'm begining to think it thinks it's a bucket!! I'm normally pretty good at figuring things out but I've scratched through the hairline and starting to tickle my brain HAHA!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The front drivers side and passenger side have many potentials for leaks. Your issues are actually very common to the XJ. The best way to identify all your leaks is to do what I said above. Repairs usually involve replacing seals, gaskets and using silicone where seals and gaskets don’t exist. There’s a good possibility that you may have more leaks than you are aware of, hence why I suggested that you peel away portions of the interior to detect where it’s coming from and what’s being impacted.

I have at least two leaks that I know of. One leak is obvious as it leaves a nice puddle on my front passenger side husky floor mat. The other leak was found only when I peeled the carpet away in the rear cargo area. I’m hoping to repaint my XJ in the near future, in which I will strip out all the interior, identify all the leaks and potential leaks, and use silicon as needed. Since I am repainting the Jeep, I will also replace all the weather seals.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, just my luck. Try to find a short cut and once again have to take the long way around to get satisfactory results. Won't be doing it anytime soon through, thermometer is settin on 12 degrees with 25 mph gusts and the garage is full of mine and the kids toys.Where are some of the common problems in front? As for silicone I don't use that for sealing leaks anymore. After time its edges become unbonded and eventually loss total seal and its pricey for the good stuff.I use a product called Sonolastc NP1 manufactured by BASF 4$ a tube comes in many colors blk. wte.gry.and more.I get it at a masonry building center. Hey thanks for all your help though dieselenthusiast much appreciatted!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:02 pm 
LOST Member

Had a leak in my right front passenger side leaking into the floorboard, and it turned out to be a pinch weld under the trim at the windshild leaking into the channel and rusting out the screw hole holding the the trim on . gooped the heck out of it and put it back and no problem .

Off-Road Package,
Rock Rails,
Tow Package, Factory Tow Hooks Front.
Rear Hitch Tow Hook,
750 Watt Inverter,
Cobra 25 WX CB Radio W/ a Cobra HG-M75 Power Mic
Cobra 100 Watt CB Magnet Mount Antenna - HG-A1000
Garmin nuvi 265T