It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How fast can I drive in 4x4 HI and 4x4 LO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:54 am 
LOST Newbie

So I've been researching this for a while now and I figured I'd ask a pro. I have a 2000 XJ sport 4wd what is the fastest on pavement wet pavement "snow" I can drive in both 4x4 HI and 4x4 Low not that I'd really ever be using 4x4 LO but still nice to know.

I have also been reading that max speed for HI is 65MPH and max speed for low is 35MPH however I also heard something new today and that is instead of stopping all the way putting the XJ into neutral then switching it over to 4x4 you should actually be rolling in neutral so 2-3MPH and then put your XJ into 4x4 or else it will bind the gears???? Which is interesting because the one time I tried to do so I could not and got an awful grinding noise. Thanks y'all

Post subject: Re: How fast can I drive in 4x4 HI and 4x4 LO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:58 am 
LOST Addict

Good morning, I used to own a 2000 XJ so I figured I could answer this. I have a couple of strong suggestions.
- Unless you have bald tires or the SelecTrac AWD transfer case, don't use 4 wheel drive on wet pavement. Good tires will still have adequate traction in the rain and you run the risk of binding the TC and breaking something. Command Trac (the most common TC in Cherokees and Liberties; "part time") is only for surfaces with poor traction (ice, snow, mud, dirt, etc.) that allow some wheel slippage. If you do have SelectTrac ("full time"), you can leave that on all the time even on dry or wet pavement, although you will see fewer MPGs.
- If the road conditions are bad enough that you need 4HI, you should never be going 65 mph! 4 wheel drive does make the vehicle seem more sure footed but at that speed in a snowstorm it is a false sense of security. Ever notice all the SUVs off the road in the interstate median during a snowstorm? It's because they thought they could just throw it in 4WD and drive the same as they did before.
- 4LO is mostly for under 25 MPH in offload situations. It has a low gear range that gives you lots of control, but you'll notice that once you get much above 25 MPH the engine will race. As long as you are in Neutral you should be able to shift it into 4LO. I never had any problem doing this while at a full stop. Shifting into 4HI on the other hand doesn't require you to be stopped or in neutral, just let up on the gas pedal when you shift it.
Hope this helps!
LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Most of the time I'm stopped for either shift, for 4 low, just throw the tranny in neutral and shift on down, I'm always stopped for that. I'm always stopped for a shift in 4 high too. I know it says you don't have too but its just something I do with any Jeep I own. that ranges from XJ's to a KJ, one YJ and now a TJ...and as far as speeds, your not gonna wanna go very fast in 4 low, its a crawling speed, and for 4 high I don't think I have ever went over 40 mph just do to I only really ever use that for snowy roads and 4 low for trail use..

1977- Jeep CJ-5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you very much y'all sorry it took me so long to respond I busted my computer for a good two weeks and just got it up and running again today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Top speed is limited by your power/RPM band and gear ratio including tire size. BTW: you probably have an NP231 which is a "shift on the fly" transfer case. You can be running at speed to go into 4HI but you need to be traveling at < 5mph to go into 4lo because of the sudden gear reduction. the owner's manuals say the 2hi to 4hi shift can be done at "any legal speed." There is no need to go to neutral for either change.