It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: amount of lift before my driveshaft falls out?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am looking to lift my 2000 xj sport I already am running a rough country 3 inch lift with new front coils and add a leaf in the back. I want to add another 2-3 inchs in spacer lift in the front and shackles in the back but I am worried about my driveshaft falling out. For a 6 inch lift on 32inch tires is this something I need to worry about?

Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: amount of lift before my driveshaft falls out?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Drive shaft lengths as well as differential angles will come into play when you go that high. Both can be compensated for with an SYE and CV joint rear drive shaft and potentially a longer front shaft.

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anything higher than 4" you will need a SYE to alleviate driveline vibe. You can swap to a GC front driveshaft in the rear sincce they are a couple inches longer. If you are going to stick with 32-33" tires 4" is actually plenty of lift.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

KJWildman wrote:
Anything higher than 4" you will need a SYE to alleviate driveline vibe. You can swap to a GC front driveshaft in the rear sincce they are a couple inches longer. If you are going to stick with 32-33" tires 4" is actually plenty of lift.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2

what is a GC front driveshaft? and I spoke to a guy that said he did a 5.5 lift with stock DS but I'm not sure if he had to change the track bar and shocks also

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 am 
LOST Newbie

ruffrich26 wrote:

what is a GC front driveshaft? and I spoke to a guy that said he did a 5.5 lift with stock DS but I'm not sure if he had to change the track bar and shocks also

Doesn't seem like the kind of person I'd take too much advice from lol. Can it be done? Probably. But it's a stupid idea. Like it has been stated, SYE kit and your choice of CV shaft and do it the right way. And you have to change your shocks and track bar at that height. Without that, there would be no down travel if the shocks even go down that far. And the front axle would be shifted to one side and have crazy bump steer if the stock track bar was used.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm up @ 7.5" in the rear and am just now installing an SYE. I had no problems running that high without an SYE and stock DS. Took it through John Bull in Big Bear with no problems, and no vibes on the highway. However I did have a D44 before. Now I've got a J20 D61 back there and need a shorter DS. Not sure how a tirty five will work. (if thats what you have)

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

You will be hating life if you went 6" without new control arms (at least lowers) and an adjustable track bar.