It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '01 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT XJ 2.5TD VM
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys! Im new to lostjeeps.com. I live in south africa and aqcuired my first jeep vehicle last year in July. She is an XJ. an absolute beauty, in near new condition inside and out. I was sceptical about that vm diesel engine though after having read alot about it. anyways, i decided to take a chance and buy this jeep. She ran like a dream until recently. There arent many sources of info here in SA for jeep vehices. I am hoping you guys on lostjeeps.com will be able to help me find out whats making my jeep misbehave!

Here are all the symptoms i am experiencing:

She has suddenly went into a limp home mode where she wont rev past 2000 whilst driving and the turbo wont kick in at all. this problem is very erratic though as sometimes she comes out of this mode and the turbo starts boosting as per normal. then she would randomly go back into limp home mode! what ive also noticed is that she now sounds a bit noisier and not as smooth as she used to be. ( can a clogged egr cause this noisiness?)
also, she has stalled a few times whilst driving.
i have also noticed that the exhaust air feels extremely hot. it was never this hot. she is also very very sluggish from idle up till 2000 revs. but thats been the case ever since i bought her, so i dont know if thats normal or not. fuel consumption is not very good as well.

ok, so i have replaced the air filter, diesel filter and checked all hoses for leaks. all seems fine. The turbo seems fine too (it cant be damaged as she still boosts powerfully when she comes out of limp mode, also put my fingers inside to check for play and seems fine). I cleaned out the intercooler as well. also checked all wiring, all seems fine.

I am very confused! My mechanic says it could be a clogged egr valve, or a faulty vacuum to egr valve, or a dirty sensor on the intake, or a faulty no.1 injector, or a diesel pump problem. As you all know, jeep parts are very expensive, especially here in SA, so i need to pinpoint the fault first before i go spend money unnecesarily on parts that dont need replacing.

please help!!! :banghead: Thanks guys :)

Post subject: Re: '01 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT XJ 2.5TD VM
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

Suggest you post this over on Ausjeep XJ forum as many of the diesel XJs were sold in Australia. Just google Ausjeep.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm jealous that you have a factory diesel XJ! But I agree with Glend. Post up in the Ausjeep XJ forum. Those guys will be able to best pinpoint your problems based on their own experiences. Please post up pics!

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:35 am 
LOST Newbie

thanks very much for responding glend and dieselenthusiast! will register on ausjeep later :) long live our Jeeps!