It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 99 Xj misfire and rough idle.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Alright I just got done rebuilding my 99 4.0L and now it has a misfire and a rough idle. I am a little frustrated because its not throwing a code and I'm probably overlooking simple things right now so other opinions always are nice. So I'm sure I will get hung for this one by some people but my rebuild was due to a broken piston skirt. No damage to cylinder wall. I did all new pistons and connecting rod bearings left the cam and mains. Reworked the head, new lifters, pushrod re seated the valves, new valve stem seals and while I had the pan off new oil pump. It is a work and back and toy vehicle but also only have two vehicles right now so I want to get it back on road asap. Fired it up yesterday and it started kinda hard as most XJs do after having the battery unplugged it had to relearn all of it sensors and fun stuff like that. I noticed right away and even after running for a while it had a misfire and it was idling at about 750 and not very smooth. Even drove it around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes and still kept up the rough idle and misfire.so my hope is for someone to give me a list of potential causes for this condition so o can combine it with my list and see if I'm missing anything. No check engine light is on either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk