It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Test drove a JK Unlimited today
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Well, like the subject says, I test drove a JK Unlimited X. It was the soft-top and not a Rubicon. It had the upgraded "larger wheel/tire" package, so it was about the same height as the Rubicon, minus the height of the BFG/MTRs.

Anyway, my report:

Cool truck. The 6 speed is sweet. I miss having a manual tranny.

Someone needs to make a muffler skid plate. That's weird seeing the muffler back there and turned sideways. Stupid "relocate the fuel tank" regulations.

The Mopar rock rails cover up the side sills well, but I think they could be thicker.

The front bumper...I just want the winch bumper. They priced it as a $550 option. Does that include the winch? Anyone know? There's also a rear bumper for $515. I haven't seen that yet though.

The interior is nice. The hard top sections come off pretty easy. Remove two screws and flip a bunch of latches and *pop* the little sections come off above the driver/passenger heads. Kinda neat. Very light, but surprisingly strong/secure.

There's a "locking" hatch in the back. It "locks" when the rear door is closed, because the rear door closes over the edge of the compartment. Kinda neat design.

Well, just thought I'd share my findings. I like it, but I'll keep my CRD KJ for now. If they bring the CRD JK over here though......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hi Dog_party!

Thanks for your thoughts on the JK Unlimited. I've been thinking seriously about one in addition to my KJ. I drove both a 2 door and the 4 door. The Unlimited has so many advantages over the 2 door that I'm thinking that is the model to get.

The winch is an additional cost above the amount just for the bumper. There is already a large aftermarket for new JK. PureJeep, Kilby, AEV, Bestop, Teraflex and others have or will soon have winch bumpers for sale.

And there are already 2-6 inch lifts available. What a shame these venders have ignored the Liberty.

Here's a link to a article on the bumper. http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/tech/0610_4wd_2007_jeep_wrangler_jk_bumpers/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm 
LOST Member

for $550.00 or cheaper you could get a much nicer aftermarket bumper for that thing. I know I wouldn't pay that at a stealership. My front bumper is custom made and is sweet. Besides, ask that dealership if that mopar rear bumper and tire carrier is rated up to a 35 inch tire. I highly doubt it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree, longarm, that the aftermarket will produce better bumpers. The one advantage of the Mopar bumper is if you order it when you order the JK, the factory uses stiffer springs for the front to compensate for the added weight. On the other hand, if you intend to lift the JK (and I will!), then the stiffer springs are no help at all since they'll just end up in the garage next to the OEM springs from the KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

Still waiting on my JK.....I ordered the Unlimited Rubicon in Jeep Green Metallic....dual tops, power group, locking fuel door.....I'll be ordering a 2.5" coil lift when its gets here....

I ordered 3.5 weeks ago.....still waiting....SIGH :roll: :wink:

-2007 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Somebody going to the dark side? :shock:

Other toys:
A wife named Linda.
-2007 Goldwing complete with a 2003 Bushtec trailer.
-06 TJ.
www.farmersagent.com/mbeck1/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:56 pm 

Naw, I ain't flop-flippin' Mike. :-) I had the CRD in Halls for an oil change and was burnin' some time. Decided to take a big bright red 6-speed out for a ride. It was fun, but I'm not givin' up the KJ CRD. I want to see 500k on the odo.

If they bring the JK CRD over here, I'll revisit your question. ;-)

A couple other things I saw with the JK that warrant mention. The starboard side blind spots are a bit larger than the KJ. Has a bit to do with the added width, but also due to (maybe perceived :?) shorter window height and beautifully thick rollbar/pillars.

The truck handles REALLY well. Very flat through the corners (compared to the KJ CRD). It goes over railroad tracks well. It's not a kidney-killer, but you can tell it's a framed truck. Nice.

The motor was fine. Sure, I wish it was still the 4.0, but it seemed to get through traffic (with the 6-speed manual tranny) just fine. It was weird to wind up the tach so high though! I had almost forgotten where the sweet spot was in gassers. :shock: :lol: Personally, I'm waiting for the CRD in this truck.

The 6-speed manual tranny is VERY nice. I know I mentioned this in passing before, but I thought it warranted further mention. The 1st gear will be a SUPER granny gear when mated to a CRD if the same ratios are used. It's a bit of a granny gear behind the gasser. It's gotta be crazy behind a CRD with the low-end torque! :shock: Stump-pullin' anyone? 2nd thru 5th are the in-town usable gears. You could probably get around using just 2-4 actually. 6th tached well below gasser powerband out on the Interstate (65MPH). Should be just about right for the CRD though. Gasser's probably hitting 90 or above to get in sweet-spot in 6th.

I agree with what everyone says about aftermarket bumpers. I would much rather have a well-engineered aftermarket bumper instead of the Mopar one(s). But I wanted to get some prices and post them so we could all make the financial choice that we need to make. All of us would much rather have bullet-proof armor under/around/over our Jeeps, but sometimes the less expensive option is the way to go because there is something else that limited funds need to be spent on. Besides, you can roll the Mopar bumpers into your car loan. :wink: But the other reason to get those prices and post them is so people can shop bumpers before going in to buy a JK. I haven't done so...there might be a nice set of JK crawler bumpers out there for the same price as the Mopar ones.

I didn't get a chance to see the half-doors. I would want half-doors personally. But my wife would want the hard-top, which I don't think can be paired with the half-doors (correct me if I'm wrong).

I like the hard top. Sweet idea and good execution. I do wish that the panel above the rear-passenger compartment would pull up seperately of the rear section though. That would have been a great addition. Nothing like pulling the rear section off and leaving your kids exposed to the sun while you relax under your own little sun-shade. I know, I know...nit-freakin'-pick. Not complaining, just suggesting a future development. Besides, it would make the storage space footprint of the hard-top smaller.

Last edited by dog_party on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was getting my oil change today at Halls (26, 500 miles). I know which toy you are talking about. I also looked at it and the other two sitting on the lot. Didn't get much time to play because I had to get back to the office. However, I would like the 6 speed for spin.

Other toys:
A wife named Linda.
-2007 Goldwing complete with a 2003 Bushtec trailer.
-06 TJ.
www.farmersagent.com/mbeck1/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:41 am 
LOST Junkie

Yep you sure can pair the hardtop with the half doors.....only thing is half doors are not available till the summer.

I bought this vehicle for Expedition purposes.....its suits the requirements of an Expedition vehicle PERFECTLY....space, power, capability and durability.

I will be running from Toronto to Montreal in January, Toronto to Moab in 2007, and Halifax Nova Scotia to Denali National Park in Alaska in 2008.....

Can't wait to pick it up and get working on outfitting it.....2.5" lift MAX....racks, lights, tent, communication, mechanical, etc etc....it'll be perfect.

Excellent write up there Dog Party.

BTW...the KJ Renegade is staying...its not going anywhere....two Jeeps in one driveway....NICE :roll: :lol:

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:24 am 

So THAT's why I couldn't find any half-doors to look at. Thanks for the info Zeero. I'm glad to hear your Rene isn't going anywhere. :-) I made my assumption that half-doors couldn't be paired with the Freedom top due to the fact that when I build a JK online it greys out the "dual top" option when I select "half doors."

To continue my write-up on the JK: In case anyone doesn't know, the new JK is available in the X, Sahara, and Rubicon trim levels (the Sport is gone, replaced by the Sahara...which was originally replaced by the Rubicon...funny):

Unlimited X Features:
5-pass. seating with 46.4 cubic ft of cargo space
Available Power Windows, Locks, Remote Keyless Entry
Available Three Piece Modular Hard Top
Standard Electronic Stability Program, Electronic Roll Mitigation, ABS

Unlimited Sahara Features:
Standard 17”, Available 18” Aluminum Wheels
32” On-road/Off-road tires
Body Color Fenders
Std. Power Windows, Locks and Remote Keyless Entry
Std. Electronic Stability Program, Electronic Roll Mitigation, and ABS

Unlimited Rubicon Features:
Standard 32” B.F. Goodrich Off-road tires
Heavy duty Dana front and rear axles with electronic Tru-Lok lockers
Electronic front sway bar disconnect
Heavy Duty Rock-Trac transfer case with 4:1 low range

I spoke about the future need for a rear/muffler skid plate in my first post. Something I forgot to mention was that the mufflers, although the same part number (I checked with Parts), are different colors. The Rubicon has a black muffler and the X has silver. I didn't climb up behind the Sahara to check though. At first I thought that it was a black skid plate over the muffler on the Rubi, but (after bending down and checking it out) I don't think it is. If it is, they made the skid plate look exactly like the muffler (same weld points and everything) and used metal that's the same thickness as the muffler.

Someone needs to make tube fenders for the JK. That would be pretty sweet. The front fenders are pretty wing-span-esque. They are nothing that would keep the truck out of my driveway, but I would keep my eyes out for replacements if I owned it. Some people on other forums have talked about removing them when off-roading. There aren't that many screws holding them in, but...what a pain. I'd rather leave them on until they get bashed off by the trail...and then use the insurance money for some tube fenders.

The Sahara model comes with body-colored fender flares. That's a whole lot of painted pastic. It actually looks pretty cool on some of the colors, not so much on others. I'd still go with the Rubicon though, just for the front D44 and elec disco.

The Sahara model comes standard with the Power Convenience Group, and it is an available option on all the other models.

Power Convenience Group $800.00 Power Windows with Front One-Touch Down Feature. Power Door Locks. Remote Keyless Entry. Security Alarm.

I didn't get to play with the power windows, but assume it's just like my KJ's power features. The buttons are in the center console(s). One-touch down on the front windows (come on Jeep, give us one-touch UP too!!!). There is a quick disconnect just inside the door (outside edge of the footwell) for unplugging the electric connections when removing the doors.

The Supplemental Front Seat Side Air Bags ($490.00) are also available on all the models. The ABs are actually in the sides of the seats. It's been said that are also part of the "Roll Mitigation" system. In other words, if your Jeep rolls over, the ground-side airbags will deploy. Not sure how accurate that info is though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Another excellent write up.

I think on the jeep site when you try and build with the freedom top the half doors grey out because its not an orderable feature.

However, with that, you can throw on the freedom top and attach your half doors if you want.

I have seen a picture of it.....the hard top with half doors and canvas/plastic window tops.

As for the power group you get remote keyless entry, power locks and windows with the one touch feature.....down only....I agree...COME ON one touch up?!?! Not to hard to make or reverse the feature.

The window controls are in the centre but not on a console like a Liberty....they are on the dash board near the bottom...right around the sway bar disco and lockers switches.

I like that set up.

Mine is shipping on Saturday morning I found out today so it should be here in about a week!

Overland Expeditions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:08 pm 

Cool, I was wondering where the power window switches would go in the front. I thought that KJ-switch area looked cramped. The sales guy said the back seat ones would be in the same place as the KJ (centered on the back of the front center console). He also said that the cruise control switches are in a different location on the JK...like down on the dash or something. They didn't have an example though, so I don't know.

Quote:
sway bar disco and lockers switches

Ahhhhhh, switches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

Cruise control is behind the steering wheel on the right....on a separate stem of its own off the steering column......kinda like the wiper control stem....or lights.

Easy to control like a wiper control....forward and away, and up and down, instead of mashing your thumbs around on the face of the steering and accidentally hitting the horn...... :oops: ....I've done that...oops.

:lol: :lol:

Overland Expeditions