It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking about a Wrangler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

I thinking of possibly getting a Wrangler so I plan on starting to look over the next couple of months. Would like lift it and get more into wheeling, so I wanted to see what people thought. What is the better way to go:

Option 1 - Buy a 2006 or 2007 Rubicon, from what I can see, it is pretty much ready to wheel off the lot (bigger tires, semi lifted etc).

Option 2 - Buy a used older Wrangle and lift it/equip it myself (any suggestions on year?)

I'm thinking option one just because I'm not a mechanic and probably would have to pay someone to do any of the work required to lift it but I didnt know if it would be cheaper/better to go with option two (better lifts than on the Rubicon?) or just buy one ready to go.

Putting out $8,000 for a Wrangle wouldnt be bad, but I dont know anything about how much it would cost to lift it and run 32's or higher.

Not going to be doing any serious rock crawling or anything like that, basically mud, back woods stuff and trails. Wont start off totally hard core

245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:52 pm 
LOST Addict

For a lift with 32s on a older TJ will run you around $300 for components (1" spacer or 1" body lift with 1" motor mount lift). To do what you want, you will probably end up spending around $1200 for tires, lift, and skids.

If you go the Rubicon way (Higly suggested, but my opinion is bias), you have everything you need (minus a engine skid and steering box skid) for the trails you want to do. It really depends on if you want to build something up or buy something and have the options you want for a older TJ on a new one with WARANTEE!

Mid-Atlantic & Carolina LOST #236236
2006 TJ Solar Yellow Rubicon
Lockers, Springs, Skids, Headers, Snorkel,
Exhaust Work, 4.5 Long Arm, Warn M8000
315/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers Moab's/SpiderTrax, 6000k HID, IPF H4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Buy a used Rubicon that is already slightly modded. Sounds like it would fit your situation perfectly.

Just some examples:
2004 Rubicon
2003 Rubicon
2003 Rubicon

Aww heck, the whole lot of them on the Bay

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I really like the Rubicon and wouldnt mind going that way at all. Either new or older (which is probably will be the way I go), I even found a 2003 lifted Rubicon with 43,000 miles on it cheap. I just dont know that much about it. Plus, like I said if I had to do it myself I would have to pay someone which I assume would be pricy.

I wouldnt be doing anything too hard core the first couple of years, that may or may not be an option down the road but I didnt know which was the better way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:07 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Rubicon, all the way.

Otherwise, you have to deal with the issues surrounding lighter weight axles and higher gearing found in other Wranglers.

The Rubicon gives you D44s, lockers in both axles, 4.11 gears and a 4:1 transfer case. That stuff adds a lot of off and on road performance and would cost a lot to add aftermarket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

If your really not going to do a lot of wheeling, you could easily get away with an older TJ. Don't get me wrong, the Rubi has a lot of nice options and is set up really weel out of the gate but if your not going to use those options for a while, why not have them added as you go. You'd have a cheaper layout up front. There is no way you could get everything for a Wrangler for $1200 though.

There are TJ's with D44's in the back straight from the factory, you could look for one of those. One way to differentiate the D35 from D44, is that the D35 will have a rubber plug for the fill hole on the cover.

If your abusive/rough (and you have to be honest) a Rubi is the way to go. It is true parts on a stock wrangler are lighter duty but they do the trick. I'd truely base it off the amount of wheeling you are really going to do. If you are going to get more serious in a couple of years, get the wrangler now and a Rubi later.

http://www.active.com/donate/teamglasam ... 8/RWaddell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm 
LOST Member

I think I would really give it a work out, but nothing like the "seasoned" wheelers would do...Well right off the bat at least. I also really like the Rubicon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joe Jeep Owner wrote:
I think I would really give it a work out, but nothing like the "seasoned" wheelers would do...Well right off the bat at least. I also really like the Rubicon.

Go for the Used Rubicon that already has some mods and you will be well ahead of the game when it is time to upgrade. Very few modded Jeeps sell for their modded value so you will save right away. The Rubicon is a great platform to start with as it gives you great capabilities out of the box and a is great to build upon. That 4:1 transfer case and selectable lockers alone make it a sweet starting point. Go ahead, You know you want it!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:10 am 
This member has been Banned

I am one of "those guys" but I know it's true
real jeeps are built not bought now that I have gotten that out of the way I will give you my take on it
I was looking for a TJ about 2.5-3 yearss ago I looked real hard at the rubis but what i saw and knowing what I know it was to much money for what you got

first the dana 44's that every body loves are not that great the same rear can easily be found in a TJ sport ,I have one
the 44 front is not any better than a super 30 kit that can be had for ~$1200 including the locker and every wrangler comes with a 30
the 4 to 1 T-case is ONLY good for rocks when all you have ar 31" tall tires

now to the "bang for the buck" stuff
they are the same jeep ,looks engine trany wise,
what I did was look for a good used TJ sport with a dana 44 rear and 3.73's or a rubi what I found was that the rubi with comparable milage was $5K + more
I then looked into how much would it cost to lock the TJ paying a shop what I found was that I could get an ARB front for ~$1500 installed and aa detroit rear for ~$1000 installed both of wich are better than what comes in the rubi
now you still spent less on a TJ that is locked ,$2500 less, it is >1" lower than the rubi as far as ride hight but has more clearance at the front diff cause it dont have the dana 44 housing
so now on to better tires the rubi has them great you also paid for them so it should but they will have "X" miles on them also
but you have $2500 befor you get to the same price as that rubi so lets see what we can get for that
I know that you can get a coil lift installed for less than or right at $1000 depending on what you get that leaves $1500 for tires and msc
if you go cheep on the tires 5 32's will run you around $625 and when you are locked you need a full sized maching spare

My point is that you will spend around the same money for a TJ sport lifted and locked as you would for a rubi that will not be lifted
if you dont do a lot of wheelin now then you could spend way less and do a budget boost and a quick lock out back installed for around $1500
you will need to weigh what are your needs in terms of how capable do you need your rig to be
I see guys all the time with brand new rubis get out on a trail and becuse they have a rubi they can "go anywhere" and find them self in a place they dont want to be cause they are faced with a radical hill climb or a huge mudy creek crossing but its either go back alone or follow the group
I dont like to see folks not having a good time so I end up going back with them as much as I may say "if my TJ made it then your rubi can" I know that they are not even ok with trying most of the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:

Huh? Care to explain that?

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 am 

JJsKJ wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Care to explain that?

I knew that some one would ask that but its real easy
with the 4 to 1 T-case and the 4.10's you can not get enough wheel speed to climb hills and clean your tires ,with 31's, you will need 33's or bigger
other wise you end up trying to clib hills with drag slicks
this is why folks lift there rubis and have no problems at all off roading with 33's :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ahh yes....forgot about you mud people and wheel speed. :lol: We don't know wth mud is out here in Cali. 8) I concur about 31's (actually 30.5's on the MT/R's so even worse) and that low of a transfer case equalling slow wheel speed but WTH keeps 31's on a Jeep these days unless you Have to?! :wink: :wink: It sure is a nice case to have when the bigger lift and tire bug bites. I'm getting ready to toss one into my XJ on 33's, can't wait.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:26 am 

JJsKJ wrote:
Ahh yes....forgot about you mud people and wheel speed. :lol: We don't know wth mud is out here in Cali. 8) I concur about 31's (actually 30.5's on the MT/R's so even worse) and that low of a transfer case equalling slow wheel speed but WTH keeps 31's on a Jeep these days unless you Have to?! :wink: :wink: It sure is a nice case to have when the bigger lift and tire bug bites. I'm getting ready to toss one into my XJ on 33's, can't wait.

Dude I HATE mud but I also dont like driving 8-12 hours to avoid it so I deal with it
I will not be shoping for that T-case but rather going terra low with the 2wd low option because its offered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:41 am 
LOST Member

I looked at a couple this weekend just driving around town and narrowed my search down. I'm not in the market for new, thats for sure (too expensive when I already have a car payment). So now I'm looking for used, either a Rubi or a sport that can be modified. Finding Sports around $10-$15,000 which isnt bad but I'm going to keep looking. There is still the one for $17K that is lifted, locked and loaded with $50,000 on it but I dont know enough about 4X4 parts to know..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jason thompson wrote:
I am one of "those guys" but I know it's true
real jeeps are built not bought

Umm...ok well I think the boys down at ROF would like to hear this one...we all LOVE our Rubis and we all, well most all, mod them or build them as you say...dont be jealous that we got all of our "aftermarket" stuff under factory warranty... :roll:

Quote:
first the dana 44's that every body loves are not that great

Says who??? Of course they break every once in a while but they are MORE than enough for 33s and they are sure as hell better than the D30s of course...again...a D44 under warranty... :roll:

Quote:
the 44 front is not any better than a super 30 kit

Ok...so it aint any better accordin' to you...thats your opinion, but they are both strong so who cares...I see more ppl wantin' to do D44 upgrades up front than Super 30s... :roll:

Quote:

Again...this is total BS bud...I wheeled my Ruby stock over rocks, through mud, up steep hills and it never faultered...ok so you think 4 to 1 is low for mud? Take it outta 4 Lo :lol: Do the locker mod...you know what that is I'm sure since you seem to know it all...and toss it in 4 Hi and have at the mud...never had any probs over here and nobody else has that I know with Rubys either...

Quote:
I then looked into how much would it cost to lock the TJ paying a shop what I found was that I could get an ARB front for ~$1500 installed and aa detroit rear for ~$1000 installed both of wich are better than what comes in the rubi

Again...ARB and Detroits may be better than the stock lockers (notice I said STOCK lockers...) but the TrueLocks on the Rubys come with a factory warranty...again...jealousy :lol:

Quote:
if you go cheep on the tires 5 32's will run you around $625 and when you are locked you need a full sized maching spare

What the hell does that mean?? "When you are locked you need a full sized spare," boss, you need a full size spare always when offroadin'

Quote:
My point is that you will spend around the same money for a TJ sport lifted and locked as you would for a rubi that will not be lifted

Ok so the Rubis dont come lifted from the factory (DCX apologizes for not givin' the Ruby everything it needs right outta the box :lol: ) Yea well maybe you can buy a TJ on the cheap and do some mods to get it up to par with the Rubi, but you still dont got the 4 to 1 Rock-Trac t-case and you dont necessarily got upgraded axles dependin' on what you find...AND with the ARB lockers you didnt mention that they are AIR LOCKERS and need onboard air to run 'em...you see all of these mods that jason is talkin bout here all depend on whether you can install them yourself too...it costs lots more to have others do the work, and since I am a believer in workin' on my own jeep I save a lot from not havin' to pay others to do the installs and work for me...much more rewardin too, but this is off topic... :lol:

Quote:
I see guys all the time with brand new rubis get out on a trail and becuse they have a rubi they can "go anywhere" and find them self in a place they dont want to be cause they are faced with a radical hill climb or a huge mudy creek crossing but its either go back alone or follow the group
I dont like to see folks not having a good time so I end up going back with them as much as I may say "if my TJ made it then your rubi can" I know that they are not even ok with trying most of the time

You see guys "all the time" huh with new Rubis? Well I agree with you there some noobs think they can conquer all with the Ruby, and they can do a VAST majority of trails stock with good experience and whatnot but they gotta have a chance to learn...everyones gotta learn somewhere...dont knock Rubis cause you think that ppl who cant, or are too chicken to wheel, are the only ones who drive 'em...there are just as many, if not more ppl like you described drivin normal TJs out on the trails runnin' into the same probs...

Bottom line...go the direction you wanna, but I recommend gettin' somethin to wheel and GET THE HELL OUT THERE AND WHEEL IT UNTIL IT BREAKS!!!!! :lol: Dont matter if ya got a normal TJ or a Rubi, as long as you get a jeep...I'm partial to the Rubi route though :wink: Good luck and be careful of "web wheelers" who think they know it all...nothin' replaces real world knowledge and gettin' out there and learnin your rig through trial and error...just be safe and try to wheel with a group :D Hope this helps 8) [/quote]

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!