It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CJ Frame???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

I was looking at a couple of used CJs this weekend but an offroad buggy builder friend of mine said if i am wanting something to do serious offroad with it then buy a YJ or TJ because the CJ frames were junk, any input on this, should I go with the newer YJ or TJ or is he just trying to get me to buy his friends YJ?

L.O.S.T. #058282
92 Jeep Cherokee
3.5" lift (more mods to come)
2002 Sport 4x4 SOLD

new dent in drivers side passenger door from duranged tree
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062821

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:33 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a CJ and I have never had any problems with the frame it is the original and it does flex some when wheeling the jeep, the jeep sits with a spring over conversion with 2" leaves, and a 1" taller body kit, it flexes well enough that the 35s can come up and kiss the inner fender on the front. but the newer yj and tj frames are a little sturdier. On the other hand if you go back befor 76 in the cjs or maybe 75 the frames were just c channels with some reinforcing by the motor mounts and those frames flex and bend around alot enough to crack them through

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:05 pm 
LOST Member

maybe that is what he was talking about he said that if i want to do any serious wheeling to go with the YJ. Thank you for the info.

L.O.S.T. #058282
92 Jeep Cherokee
2002 Sport 4x4 SOLD

Post subject: cj frames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

i never have any problem with the frame. i've been running this old cj for 25 yrsImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

I like it, did going to a spring over decrease your ride and what all did you have to change?

L.O.S.T. #058282
92 Jeep Cherokee
2002 Sport 4x4 SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

On my 85 cj the spring over didnt make it ride harsher until the hard top was on and then it was more bouncy in the back other wise with the top off it rode very comfortably down the freeway at 70, I dont know what springs I have but I think they are super lift or skyjackers, they are 2 1/2" over stock height, the biggest thing to change and depending on lift of the spring or use of stock springs is the front drag link on mine I custom built the drag link for over springs and used a special reaming tool to reverse the taper on the rod end, or u can use dana 44 knuckles on the dana 30 and get some from a wrecking yard that have a higher steering setup, after wheeling through a few trails that really flex the springs they will sag a little I think mine came down about half inch, if U use stock springs especially off wranglers and even 1" over You can possibly get away with a dropped pitman arm, the only draw back with the wrangler springs in the rear which we kept replacing on a few sprung over cjs was that the lower 2 leaves kept getting the w look from flexing opposite of the normal arch, which bumpstops at the right point could help or changing position of the shackle, but I used all poly bushings, I also pulled the brakehard line from coming out of the frame near the shock and made up a bracket which was incorporated into the bumpstops to lower the brake lines to right under the frame and then got braided lines from 4wd hardware they have them for around $40 or so where all the local shops and some online were $100 bucks or more, If you want some pics I have them at most of the steps along the buildup from when I did mine so everything was newly painted black and easy to see the details.