It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X 4 door
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:23 am 
LOST Member

Test drove one today... surprised by the quieter ride as I thought it would be noisy as hell.... 3.8l engine. I liked it.

A few points:

- slower on accelorating than the 3.7l cuz I figure it is quite a bit heavier
- - 17" GY RSA tires ... crap!! Get the BFG tire package
- harder to climb in and out than the KJ....
- a little tight in the back seat.. but then looked at the Grand Cher... mmm not that diff
- cool hardtop/Freedom top w/ soft top option and full doors
- good turning radius w/ longer vehicle
- crap 5 x 5 bolt pattern so I can't swap wheels w/ my KJ
- priced cheaper than the same equipped KJ
- long wait for Rubicon version 12 weeks
- ground clearance looks pretty good
- don't know if I would use it as a family car w/ kids as it is tight but more versatile than the 2 dr so should open the market up abit more.

To compare to the H3 perhaps??? Wife didn't like it but I was more impressed than I expected.

Still will keep my KJ.

....o_o_o_o
../| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L--↨|||||||↨
()_)¯ ()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

(\__/)
(='.'=) <]{
(")_(")

( . )( . )

Hare on my Chest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:27 am 
LOST Junkie

If I could afford one, it would be in the driveway already. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The new Rubicon's look good(4-door version is my fav) but the non-Rubicons look cheasy,the fender flares seem to overhang the puny tires by way to much.To bad the Rubicon's now come with BFG's,I hate BFG's,but it doesn't matter anyway cause I can't afford one anyway.

Post subject: Unl
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
The new Rubicon's look good(4-door version is my fav) but the non-Rubicons look cheasy,the fender flares seem to overhang the puny tires by way to much.To bad the Rubicon's now come with BFG's,I hate BFG's,but it doesn't matter anyway cause I can't afford one anyway.

The stock Goodyear GSA's are crappier.... the 17" (smallest ones can go to 32" OAD... you can get the 19" :shock: :shock: wheels as an option.

....o_o_o_o
../| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L--↨|||||||↨
()_)¯ ()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

(\__/)
(='.'=) <]{
(")_(")

( . )( . )

Hare on my Chest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:08 pm 
This member has been Banned

I was working about a block from a local dealer today so I decided to go have another look
I still see to much under the jeep that I do not like
just a few are the PLASTIC that hangs down under the radiator? what is that? I call it "low hanging fruit" cause it will be the first thing to get picked off
then there is the pice of pipe with the ends smashed to hold the X-fer case skid? it is like 1/8" thick wall and only about 1.5" pipe what is that going to hold?
also the fuel tank? it is the lowest point on the passenger side and the skid plate on it does not impress me
I know that with the KJ I have hit stuff that has put some good marks in the skids and we dont wheel that near as hard as I wheel my TJ
I know that I would put a hole in that tank that would make the Titantic look tame heck I dented the one on my TJ on one of the "easier" trails at gilmer
and it is way out back and up higher than that tank would be running 3" lift and 35's

If you like it go buy it but for me it will never be a trail machine
way to loooooooooong and not enough protection
the wheel base was as long as my F250 ex cab but the 250 sits up higher?
trail rated I think more like mall rated
I see the same issues with the 2 door with out the wheel base problem

Just my .02
I think that jeep has given up on the off road market and is now going for the mall insted
again my .02 I could be wrong but only time will tell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

jason thompson wrote:
I was working about a block from a local dealer today so I decided to go have another look
I still see to much under the jeep that I do not like
just a few are the PLASTIC that hangs down under the radiator? what is that? I call it "low hanging fruit" cause it will be the first thing to get picked off
then there is the pice of pipe with the ends smashed to hold the X-fer case skid? it is like 1/8" thick wall and only about 1.5" pipe what is that going to hold?
also the fuel tank? it is the lowest point on the passenger side and the skid plate on it does not impress me
I know that with the KJ I have hit stuff that has put some good marks in the skids and we dont wheel that near as hard as I wheel my TJ
I know that I would put a hole in that tank that would make the Titantic look tame heck I dented the one on my TJ on one of the "easier" trails at gilmer
and it is way out back and up higher than that tank would be running 3" lift and 35's

If you like it go buy it but for me it will never be a trail machine
way to loooooooooong and not enough protection
the wheel base was as long as my F250 ex cab but the 250 sits up higher?
trail rated I think more like mall rated
I see the same issues with the 2 door with out the wheel base problem

Just my .02
I think that jeep has given up on the off road market and is now going for the mall insted
again my .02 I could be wrong but only time will tell

That was my initial impression, but everywhere I've read and heard opinions from says they are actually more capable than the TJ. Given the new Rubicon package and the swaybar dsconnect from inside the cab, I think that may very well be true. Also, as far as "mall rated" goes, lets not forget what the majority of the internet says about the Liberty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:00 pm 

desertkj wrote:
That was my initial impression, but everywhere I've read and heard opinions from says they are actually more capable than the TJ. Given the new Rubicon package and the swaybar dsconnect from inside the cab, I think that may very well be true. Also, as far as "mall rated" goes, lets not forget what the majority of the internet says about the Liberty.

The opinion you are hearing is just that an opinion
how on earth does an in cab sway bar disco make it better I will never know just somthing else to break when it gets wet

look fact is they are made cheeper than the TJ if that was not true they would hav done a better job on the skids
what people are saying about them being better or more capable rather is based on numbers that were given from models and not years of real world test
The TJ and YJ other than the suspension are about the same set up as far as wheel base skid plates and that stuff
now look at the JK set up nothing like them ,why not, it works, keep things the same if they work
why put the fuel tank where it can be hit on every long and rock?
I know why the mufler makes alot more noise than the fuel tank thats why ,mall rated
why put some cheep pice of plastic where there shoud be a good strong skid plate? plastic is cheeper ,mall rated
why put on those huge tires but make it so that the LCA's are lower at the frame rail then at the axel end? keep it low so mom can get inand out easy ,mall rated
why put a cheep pcs of pipe where ther should be a big hunk of steel that can support the weight of the rig ,wich is what it should do, pipe is cheeper mall rated

I could go on and on but I will leave it at that
If you have no plans to wheel it like you would a YJ or TJ then by all means go for it
if you plan to wheel it you had better keep it in the mall parking lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:27 am 
LOST Junkie

The skid plates are a relatively low concern. Who cares how thin they are? There's plenty of companies like Kilby that will sell stronger ones then Jeep will EVER put on anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

jason thompson wrote:

The opinion you are hearing is just that an opinion
how on earth does an in cab sway bar disco make it better I will never know just somthing else to break when it gets wet

look fact is they are made cheeper than the TJ if that was not true they would hav done a better job on the skids
what people are saying about them being better or more capable rather is based on numbers that were given from models and not years of real world test
The TJ and YJ other than the suspension are about the same set up as far as wheel base skid plates and that stuff
now look at the JK set up nothing like them ,why not, it works, keep things the same if they work
why put the fuel tank where it can be hit on every long and rock?
I know why the mufler makes alot more noise than the fuel tank thats why ,mall rated
why put some cheep pice of plastic where there shoud be a good strong skid plate? plastic is cheeper ,mall rated
why put on those huge tires but make it so that the LCA's are lower at the frame rail then at the axel end? keep it low so mom can get inand out easy ,mall rated
why put a cheep pcs of pipe where ther should be a big hunk of steel that can support the weight of the rig ,wich is what it should do, pipe is cheeper mall rated

I could go on and on but I will leave it at that
If you have no plans to wheel it like you would a YJ or TJ then by all means go for it
if you plan to wheel it you had better keep it in the mall parking lot

Blah,Blah,Blah :roll:
Why dont you wheel one, before you make your opininated comments....

LIFETIME KJ MEMBER.....and dang proud off it !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:45 pm 
LOST Member

dynamike wrote:
Quote:

Why dont you wheel one, before you make your opinionated comments....

Thats what im saying, its a jeep your buying not a cadillac.

0IIIIII0
2006 IMPACT ORANGE RUBICON
305 Mt/Rs MT Classic II's
2.5 lift
1.25 JKS BL
JKS quicker Discos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:52 pm 

05kjrenny wrote:
dynamike wrote:
Quote:

Why dont you wheel one, before you make your opinionated comments....

Thats what im saying, its a jeep your buying not a cadillac.

Just for the record I have wheeled one
It got stuck on the first hill that was built to give a stock KJ a hard time but still doable The local dealer has a "test track" just for this

I also agree it is susposed to be a jeep not a cadi so why are they not built like a jeep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:09 pm 

dynamike wrote:

Why dont you wheel one, before you make your opininated comments....

If jeep/DCX going cheep with the plastic and the skids is my opinion then ok it is
If they made it to appel to the "mall crawlers" by giving up ground clearance for a quieter ride is my opinion then so be it
If the fact that they made a 4 door and also made a 2WD WRANGLER is not proof enough that they made it for the mall crawlers I dont know what is

Look from DAY ONE the name jeep = the best in off road and every body would call a wrangler CJ or willys a jeep because that is what they were
the best in off road now along comes this it looks like a jeep it rides like a jeep it has all the downs of a jeep but you can get it in 2WD?
Why would they do that?
They want to apeal to the "mall crwalers" it is simple and plan
The problem with most people is that they are "blinded by the bling" and fail to see the big picture
well I will say it
JEEP SOLD OUT
I have yet to see reason to belive other wise I know the facts about the 4 door wrangler
long wheel base poor ground clearance is no way to make somthing for off roading top it off with 2WD and presto what do you get
somthing to go from point A to point B and look cool doing it that = "mall craling"

This is a free country and this may or may not be my opinion I have posted what I think and the way I see it I have yet to see proof to the contrary
and dont think that posting a picture of some super moded rig with $20k + in mods will prove any thing other than some person had wy to much money to waste
I want to see a JK 4 door made into a "real trail rig"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:22 pm 
LOST Member

This one ran Lower Terminator. Stock. It ran most of the obstacles too. Would you? :P

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_2557.jpg?t=1169344749

What kind of jeep do you have that makes it super jeep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:44 pm 

L.O.S.T. TJ wrote:
This one ran Lower Terminator. Stock. It ran most of the obstacles too. Would you? :P

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_2557.jpg?t=1169344749

What kind of jeep do you have that makes it super jeep?

who ever said I have a super jeep? not me
and yes if it can be done stock I dont see where I would have a problem

I am not going to brag and pat my own back about my jeep but I will say this
it is an '02 it has an auto trany it runs on only 30' tires and it is locked with a few other mods that make have the same break over as a YJ with 4" and 35's
oh yeah one more thing I have the common sence to know where I can and can not go and what my jeep was made for because I am the one who made it that way

Now let folks flame away about my opinion that real jeeps are built not bought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:11 pm 
LOST Member

I'm not flaming you. Just asking questions. You are the one that is flaming on some dudes thread about how he likes his JK. If i was flaming you i'd say something like.

Quote:
it is an '02 it has an auto trany it runs on only 30' tires and it is locked with a few other mods that make have the same break over as a YJ with 4" and 35's

Sounds like a POS that i could run over like an obstacle. :)

Or:

Quote:
real jeeps are built not bought

Yeah it sounds like you really been building away with all those hi tech mods you have on your super Jeep. Do you have a Steel factory, forges, steel castings, tire factory or a whole Jeep plant in your back yard? No?
Then you didn't build anything. You bolted stuff on just like when you have to build kids toys at christmas. So STFU. :D

That would be flaming and is not my intent. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:27 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

ok let's stop the childs play :roll: the original post was about & experience with a new one & opinion was made we ALL are entitled to an opinion so let's leave it at that & MOVE ALONG

Let's not get into bashing / who's jeep is better & what not ( kinda sickening) & just enjoy our place here on the web & share info.
some people are going to like the new models & some will hate'em but this site is open to ALL MODELS so please keep your bashing to your selves & be positive

I personaly have wheeled with a new JK rubicon & it did awesome very worthy of the jeep name :D

see there's my opinion now that wasn't hard was it :wink: time to move along

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:47 pm 

raceinfan wrote:
ok let's stop the childs play :roll: the original post was about & experience with a new one & opinion was made we ALL are entitled to an opinion so let's leave it at that & MOVE ALONG

Let's not get into bashing / who's jeep is better & what not ( kinda sickening) & just enjoy our place here on the web & share info.
some people are going to like the new models & some will hate'em but this site is open to ALL MODELS so please keep your bashing to your selves & be positive

I personaly have wheeled with a new JK rubicon & it did awesome very worthy of the jeep name :D

see there's my opinion now that wasn't hard was it :wink: time to move along

I agree lets move along
but then again there would never be a discission would there?
The thing I like most about this board is the way folks confuse fact with opinion

I dont like some thing but every body else does so there opinion turs into fact and that makes me wrong?
I only stated what I saw in the new JK and others said I was wrong. Wrong? How?
I am the guy who goes to the lot and gets under the thing to see what makes it so great and I see nothing to rave about
I then say what I see and it P12232 off some Joe who spent $30k+ on one and that make me wrong?
I think not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

I am not and was mad at all. Nor will i be about it. Like i really care enough to get emotional about it. :roll:

Quote:
You sound just like a guy who just bought a "go where I want rubi"

No. I'm a guy that bought a rubi and has gone where i've wanted to and then some. Thati is why it is sitting broken. Can you forge me up some new gears please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:34 pm 

L.O.S.T. TJ wrote:
I am not and was mad at all. Nor will i be about it. Like i really care enough to get emotional about it. :roll:

Quote:
You sound just like a guy who just bought a "go where I want rubi"

No. I'm a guy that bought a rubi and has gone where i've wanted to and then some. Thati is why it is sitting broken. Can you forge me up some new gears please?

please do not take this the wrong way I mean no harm at all but I can not help my self as I have seem it way to many times

How about those 4.10 in those dana 44's? sorry I had to
I have seen all kins of breaks
no i can not forge you some no ones but I know who can
this is what I mean if you plan to wheel you need to build it to do so
maby up grade your gears if you up grade your tires?

This is what I mean by built not bought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:45 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

can we end this PLEASE :!:

people are NOT all going to agree with stuff, lets NOT get this discussion into a bickering session with just 2 people & just DROP IT and let other's enjoy this thread

points were made whether they be good or bad fact or opinion ok fine LET IT BE & END IT

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]