It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RockCrusher Cast Aluminium Diff Covers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK folks, I got a great deal on a set of these for my D30 and D44, so I thought I'd try them out. Here is the rear D44 cover.
It sticks out so far that it rubs against the gas tank skid....
Both the covers require a 14mm allen to get the fill plug in & out. My hardware store didn't have one, so I got a 2.5" bolt with a 14mm head on it. I hold the bolt in place and use a pliers to spin the plug.
Here is the D30:
note that in this next photo you might be able to see where I used the angle grinder to remove some of the fin the goes up and to the left from the RockCrusher logo.
This was necessary because the darn thing contacts with the track bar frame mount. If you look close, you can see a shiny spot where it still impacts. This is with a 2.5" OME lift and NO off roading. I plan to trim more away prior to going off road...

The Bottom Line: I would NOT recomen these diff covers, mainly because they stick out so far as to hit stuff. As for other reasons, the drain plug is too high on this. If you fill it, you will get diff fluid out the breaters for weeks (trust me :( ) I have not yet hit anything with them, so I don't know how they will do, but I plan on taking the factory covers and 2qts of fluid on runs until I have faith in them (or I yank them for impacting other parts).

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop

Last edited by moose on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock: ALUMINUM!?!?!? :shock: Just when I finally get away from Aluminim on my diffs!?!? No way would I go back!
:wink: :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
:shock: ALUMINUM!?!?!? :shock: Just when I finally get away from Aluminim on my diffs!?!? No way would I go back!
:wink: :wink:

OK, I fixd the spllin on it for ya. and, they said it took 50k psi, so for the money, i thought i'd take a chance. Maybe it would work for someone with a 6" lift....

2002 Patriot Blue KJ - Coming soon!
2006 Black LJ (Wrangler Unlimited), auto, custom skids, 3.5" Rubicon Express, Aussie D30, Rocker Guards & Cooper AT3 235x85r16
2009 Patriot Blue D2500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, Quad Cab
1967 Alberg 37' Masthead rigged Sloop